Menu

Beautiful Feet American History Intermediate vs A Story of US

TheAttachedMama

We are doing our first run through American History next year.  (We plan to spend two years on this.)   I will be combining my up-and-coming 4th and 5th-grade kids.  

I am trying to decide what to choose for history.   The two options I am considering are...

Option 1:   E.A. History Intermediate Jumbo Pack by Beautiful Feet Press 

-OR-

Option 2:  A story of US by Hakim 

-OR-

Option 3:   (Insert your suggestion)

For literature, we will also be using the Read Alouds from Sonlight Core D and independent reading from Sonlight Core D.   (You might be thinking, "Why am I not just using Sonlight Core D then??"  Well, because their two source spines look very boring to me.)   

Background:

We spent two years on ancient history and literature using SOTW 1.   And one year on the middle ages using SOTW 2.   I will probably have them listen to the SOTW 3 audiobooks over the summer.    

SO---what would you pick if you were me and why?   I am also open to other suggestions if you have them.  

I have Sonlight's core D spines....and they are not that exciting. 

If you are doing the Sonlight read alouds and also BFB, that would be a lot of titles to juggle! You could also just get BFB's spine, A Child's First Book of American History, which is a beautifully written intro to American Lit, but it isn't very balanced. Good read alouds would help that issue.

So far, I really like A History of US as a follow up to Story of the World for my 6th grade son. Both series have the same approach of presenting history as a story. A History of US is a little more advanced because the target audience is older. I do not use the curriculum that goes with a History of US. 

• Like 2

Wow, our history past looks a lot like yours. We also are doing American History next year and at a Homeschool Convention, I was able to look through Heroes and Heroines of the Past American History by Puetz. I really liked it because it is very similar to SOTW with a part you read, and then activities to go along with it. (But instead of a separate activity book, it's all in one, but takes up 2 volumes. 

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it because of it's similarity to SOTW, though you may be needing something totally different. :) Christian book has it on sale right now.

• Like 2

Wow, our history past looks a lot like yours. We also are doing American History next year and at a Homeschool Convention, I was able to look through Heroes and Heroines of the Past American History by Puetz. I really liked it because it is very similar to SOTW with a part you read, and then activities to go along with it. (But instead of a separate activity book, it's all in one, but takes up 2 volumes. 

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it because of it's similarity to SOTW, though you may be needing something totally different. :) Christian book has it on sale right now.

Not trying to hijack op's post, but I have Heroes and Heroines of the Past American History by Puetz for sale.  I can't believe the sale CBD is having.  I paid 98.99 for mine less than a year ago and 60.00 for the lit pack that goes with it.  Make me an offer.   :)  It is new, I didn't use it.

Pam

Edited by wehave8

If you like everything about Sonlight except the spine, I would just substitute a different spine (divide pages or chapters by 32 - 36 or something reasonable and go with it, don't worry about matching it up a particular way.)  I wouldn't add an additional program.  So, maybe History of US if you like that (lots of libraries have it, so you out check it out and see what you think.)  A more succinct spine that kids can read themselves would be the Complete Book of US History.  Or if you have a hard time finding a text you like, maybe something like the Creekedge Task Cards for US history.  Or Veritas Press timeline cards (the last 2 years).  Either would give you a topical spine and you could research the topics with sources at home or the library.  

• Like 2

You might like the updated versions of America's Story series (3 volumes) by Angela O'Dell.  She partnered with Master Books to revise and update the series.  It looks really nice.  You can see samples on the Master Books website.  Looks like CBD will also be offering the books when they release this March.  The grade level is elementary, so might work for you.

• Like 1

If you are interested in A History of US, I am currently using k12's concise 4-volume edition even though I have the 11 volume set. My son enjoys reading it a lot. So, that is also a choice as well. I was able to buy the volumes used for less than $20. 

• Like 1