Menu

FLVS AP Class Reviews

Following because we may be in the same boat this time next year.    My DS might be taking AP HUG or AP World History at our local high school with a part-time schedule, or if the scheduling doesn't work, AP HUG through FLVS.   I've searched and this was the best thread with reviews that I've found:  http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/ap-tests-preparation/1182954-official-flvs-ap-thread.html     The early reviews are several years old, but there are some more recent posts as you get to the end.   

Thank you Tampamommy. And thank you sebastiancat for the link. Hopefully more will chime in. Usually we register for the class and tinker with it for a bit to see if it works but you can't register for APs right now on the website so I'm flying blind. If this doesn't work out, I'll use Pennsylvania Homeschoolers and I don't want to miss their deadlines. Thanks for the input.

DD has taken AP Psychology and loved it.  We're looking at APUSH, US Govnt and AP Lang next year.  Does anyone have any experience with these classes using FLVS?  Teacher recommendations?  

I literally had the SAME question! DD loves AP Psychology with FLVS. We are also looking at APUSH for next year and possibly AP Govt in another year or two.

I have scoured the internet and you find some good and some bad reviews about APUSH. It is hard to know what to believe but I think some of these reviews depend on the student and the teacher and sometimes the material that FLVS uses (which really is no help in making "this" decision!) DD has always had amazing or great teachers (with one exception) on FLVS, although we know others that haven't had a great experience. She has taken a few other non-AP course on FLVS and has found some of the curriculum to have some holes or erroneous info; however, the AP course "seems" to be thorough and well- organized and there is only a "little busy work and silliness" (what we like to call it). But DD is type of student that just wants to know what material she needs to learn and get it done in the most efficient way so FLVS AP Psych is working for her. Now, I won't be able to say for certain how the course prepared her until she takes the exam but for now she is happy and enjoying it. Will update after the exam....

I am leaning towards APSUH with FLVS (but am still investigating options) and praying that there is not a lot of busy work because I know reading the text is time intensive in APUSH. I checked the text they use for APUSH and it seems decent but it is not the version recommended on the AP Textbook list on College Board (Foner, Eric.  Give Me Liberty! An American History AP Edition, 3rd Edition. W.W. Norton & Company, 2013.). FLVS seems to be using the "brief" version (Foner, Eric. Give Me Liberty! An American History. Brief 4th ed. New York: Norton and Company, 2014) of the text according to the details page of the APUSH course. That concerned me a bit. Not sure if we might try to use the AP text with FLVS or see how their text is? Plus, I am not certain if the FLVS APUSH course was updated to reflect the change in the exam that happened in 2015--might email FLVS counselor about that?!

As far as AP Language goes we are using a different provider (Blue Tent Online Brigid Thompson-LOVE this provider) as DD's only bad  (FLVS) experience was with English 1 Honors (however, it was taken with PBVS, not FLVS so part of it was that;; however, PBVS uses FLVS' curriculum so part of it was FLVS because we didn't care for the curriculum at all!).

Please let me know if you find anything more on APUSH. Thank you!

Thank you for that. Sounds like busy work to me? I'll run it past my dd. I have a recommendation for a teacher. I'm going to try to reach out to him. I'll let you all know what I find out.

Great! Also, noticed your kids take Music Theory--where do they take that course and if it is provider how is it? DD needs music theory too. Thanks!

One other thing for those following.....I spoke to the FLVS lead teacher for AP US Gov and she told me that they are totally revamping the class. The new class will be available Summer 2018. We've decided to wait for the new one.

This sounds like a good plan! DD was planning to take it in 2019 anyway! 

Thank you for info on Music Theory!

Also, did you happen to talk to anyone in the APUSH department? Did you see the sample lesson online at FLVS?

Note that APUSH is a different class than AP US Gov. You probably know that, but wanted to make sure my post was clear😊 

Nope.  I totally mis-read your original post because I was in a hurry.   Thank you for clarifying!   DS will be ready for AP USGov the following year, so it's still good for us.

So after a long chat about APUSH, here's what I found out....

They recently revamped the entire course  based on the 2015 CB revision.  They are using the 4th edition of the Foner book because it seems that it was challenging to get the kids to actually read the 300 extra pages in the 3rd edition (would not be a problem here, so I would probably opt for the full text).  

The class assignments are split: 50% multiple choice quizzes and 50% written assignments.  They don't "write a ton of essays" for this class.  There is an essay "outline" form that they fill out and turn in as the "essay" assignment.  This confused me at first, but he explained that the expectation is that a well written outline would become a well written essay.  Assignments can be "reset" 3 times.

There are monthly opportunities for live lessons that further explore the content in the text.

The course exams alternate between multiple choice questions exams and written essay exams.  The essays are fully written and graded.  The exams cannot be reset.

Since the redesign, the class has a 50% pass rate on the APUSH exam, which is "about the national average."

He was very helpful and super knowledgeable about FLVS AP offerings and returned my call promptly.  

• Like 2

So after a long chat about APUSH, here's what I found out....

They recently revamped the entire course  based on the 2015 CB revision.  They are using the 4th edition of the Foner book because it seems that it was challenging to get the kids to actually read the 300 extra pages in the 3rd edition (would not be a problem here, so I would probably opt for the full text).  

The class assignments are split: 50% multiple choice quizzes and 50% written assignments.  They don't "write a ton of essays" for this class.  There is an essay "outline" form that they fill out and turn in as the "essay" assignment.  This confused me at first, but he explained that the expectation is that a well written outline would become a well written essay.  Assignments can be "reset" 3 times.

There are monthly opportunities for live lessons that further explore the content in the text.

The course exams alternate between multiple choice questions exams and written essay exams.  The essays are fully written and graded.  The exams cannot be reset.

Since the redesign, the class has a 50% pass rate on the APUSH exam, which is "about the national average."

He was very helpful and super knowledgeable about FLVS AP offerings and returned my call promptly.  

Thank you for all the info and research!

What does your general "gut" say? Will you move forward with the course? I am considering FLVS course and 1 other and possibly another course. Not sure which one I am leaning towards....want to show DD all the different texts first.

What does your general "gut" say? Will you move forward with the course? I am considering FLVS course and 1 other and possibly another course. Not sure which one I am leaning towards....want to show DD all the different texts first.

So which are you choosing between? I think you need to seriously consider how well an APUSH course prepares you for the AP exam. After all, that matters if you are taking an AP class - you'd like to score a 4 or 5 if at all possible. Sometimes a great AP USH class does not necessarily equate a great AP exam score - it depends on how well the material is synced up. So you have to decide what matters to you most.

• Like 1

We have not chosen yet.  We are choosing AP for three reasons, in order of importance:  1) DE does not fit into our schedule due to travel and EC tournament schedules, 2) dd would always prefer an asynchronous class and 3) adding "advanced" coursework to her transcript.  

That said, choosing the right one is very important for us because a 4 or 5 on the exam is the goal.  She's fascinated with history and Literature is her passion, but she would read and study these topics with or without an AP class, so the class really is just interesting and exciting prep for the exam for us.  I want her to enjoy the classes because busywork in areas of interest and passion would be a shame.  But ultimately, the exam score is the goal.  

We're still evaluating.  I'll post some more info later.  I'm running out the door now.

• Like 1