Menu

Anemia

rainbowmama

You need B12 to produce iron.  When my B12 was low (I wasn't pregnant then) it caused me to be anemic.  When I get B12 injections, it causes iron levels to increase to normal levels.  Some people lose the ability to absorb B12 in their digestive system and they can only do injections, others can switch to over the counter supplements after they've been brought back up to normal with shots.  The shots are cheap and med spas can do them.  Low B12 causes an array of problems over time, the first of which is usually fatigue.

There are different causes of anemia.  It's important you find out why you're anemic, especially during pregnancy.  Some forms require more intervention and have more significant consequences.  The more big deal ones are more rare.

• Like 1

You need B12 to produce iron.  When my B12 was low (I wasn't pregnant then) it caused me to be anemic.  When I get B12 injections, it causes iron levels to increase to normal levels.  Some people lose the ability to absorb B12 in their digestive system and they can only do injections, others can switch to over the counter supplements after they've been brought back up to normal with shots.  The shots are cheap and med spas can do them.  Low B12 causes an array of problems over time, the first of which is usually fatigue.

There are different causes of anemia.  It's important you find out why you're anemic, especially during pregnancy.  Some forms require more intervention and have more significant consequences.  The more big deal ones are more rare.

I do have a tendency to be anemic during pregnancy in general, and my care providers have always told me that it's due to the increased blood volume of pregnancy. However, I went into this pregnancy anemic due to blood loss (postpartum hemorrhage followed by conceiving this baby a few weeks later). 

A while for me, several weeks. Take it with OJ/vitamin C. Avoid taking it at the same time you consume eggs, milk, or....what was the other thing? Tea or coffee? Maybe someone else remembers. Those foods inhibit iron absorption.

A previous care provider told me to take it with OJ and avoid taking it with anything with calcium like milk. The iron supplement (Hemaplex) itself has a LOT of vitamin C in it, too.