Menu

Hi,

I posted couple of times on highschool board and was directed here. My dd10, is doing Algebra 1 right now and immersed in lot of science and hands on science outside home. She takes veritas online class for Math which used Jacobs text. She is flying through it and we work on word problems a lot at home as well. She wants to do algebra based physics next year. She will be doing Geometry at WHA. I am sure lot of you have gone through. What math and science sequence would you recommend for this child? She wants to do engineering or research in medical field. She does fencing ( lot of tournaments),

horseback riding(shows in and out of the city), and piano ( she wants to learn a instrument). I find it really hard to keep up with her schedule. She wants to goto highly selective colleges. What do you all suggest?

she also did psat 8/9 in Jan through duke tip. waiting for the results.

Also she has a research idea in chemistry. Which is an amazing topic. How do I help her? I can teach chemistry but not advanced topics.

Edited by mom2vikha
  • Like 1

If she wants to go to selective colleges, that usually means not graduating early. She just keeps moving forward as if she was 10 in 4th or 5th grade (wherever her birthday falls). Teach her where she is. She does not need a science sequence in middle school or elementary school. She just keeps being super interested in whatever she wants. Right now that sounds like algebra based physics (which might require some filling in of holes if you had geometry planned and not algebra 2. Not a big deal, just be aware). If she is geeked out on chemistry, teach her chemistry. When she maxes you out, find a tutor, community college, Great Courses, MOOCs, whatever.

My kiddo is that kid only in humanities. He is 12. Within the next two years he will be up to three languages and three instruments. He still won't be in high school. He is doing high school level work, but due to wanting to shoot Ivy or top 20, they could care less. High school starts in the last 4 years as far as they are concerned. For now, he just keeps learning as much as he can absorb.

I am neurotic, so I have a rough outline. He likes a plan, so we construct one, but it doesn't matter to anyone else. It will make sure he has a stack of AP tests, from various subjects. However, it shifts. He adds things like violin and French, and most recently more chemistry. He takes out Greek and Japanese. Until he is 14, it doesn't matter all that much.

Until 13 or so, you are held hostage by her desires. There is no way to project how far she will leap in three years.

Edited by EndOfOrdinary
  • Like 1

If you are at WHA for geometry, you probably noticed that they follow a physics first (algebra based) approach to sciences at the high school level. Have you asked if she would be allowed to enroll in that class since she would have the math mastered?

There is a year-long physics class at Athena's Academy as well if you aren't looking to do a high school level course in terms of output but looking for meatier content to explore with other accelerated kids who are just interested in the science.

ETA: for my son, the science and math is never a problem...the writing element (lab reports, etc.) that comes with higher grade level classes is a problem that I don't want to become the thing that kills his passion for science right now.

Also, there's a physics class at onlineg3, but keep in mind that this is a teen focus class. You have to be 12 or older for those classes.

Edited by calbear

If she wants to go to selective colleges, that usually means not graduating early. She just keeps moving forward as if she was 10 in 4th or 5th grade (wherever her birthday falls). Teach her where she is. She does not need a science sequence in middle school or elementary school. She just keeps being super interested in whatever she wants. Right now that sounds like algebra based physics (which might require some filling in of holes if you had geometry planned and not algebra 2. Not a big deal, just be aware). If she is geeked out on chemistry, teach her chemistry. When she maxes you out, find a tutor, community college, Great Courses, MOOCs, whatever.

My kiddo is that kid only in humanities. He is 12. Within the next two years he will be up to three languages and three instruments. He still won't be in high school. He is doing high school level work, but due to wanting to shoot Ivy or top 20, they could care less. High school starts in the last 4 years as far as they are concerned. For now, he just keeps learning as much as he can absorb.

I am neurotic, so I have a rough outline. He likes a plan, so we construct one, but it doesn't matter to anyone else. It will make sure he has a stack of AP tests, from various subjects. However, it shifts. He adds things like violin and French, and most recently more chemistry. He takes out Greek and Japanese. Until he is 14, it doesn't matter all that much.

Until 13 or so, you are held hostage by her desires. There is no way to project how far she will leap in three years.

Hi EndOfOrdinary, Thank you so much for your input. Appreciate it. She wants the Ivy colleges as well and two in particular. I have decided not to graduate early long long ago ever since she is stuck on this. Right now for me she is in fifth grade. We both thrive on plans as well. She loves anything and everything to do with science and that's why I wanted a sequence. If I let her decide then she will want to do 2 or three science courses a year which I don't want to do. Also she does a lot to tournaments and riding shows and piano classes which puts us on a time constraint per day. Though I know only the last 4 years are counted for highschool, isn't harder the courses the better for top tier colleges? I am just thinking aloud.

If you are at WHA for geometry, you probably noticed that they follow a physics first (algebra based) approach to sciences at the high school level. Have you asked if she would be allowed to enroll in that class since she would have the math mastered?

There is a year-long physics class at Athena's Academy as well if you aren't looking to do a high school level course in terms of output but looking for meatier content to explore with other accelerated kids who are just interested in the science.

ETA: for my son, the science and math is never a problem...the writing element (lab reports, etc.) that comes with higher grade level classes is a problem that I don't want to become the thing that kills his passion for science right now.

Also, there's a physics class at onlineg3, but keep in mind that this is a teen focus class. You have to be 12 or older for those classes.

I appreciate the reply. I did try to enroll her in WTMA logic stage physics course. I was too late😓 no slots and she wanted a live class component. Do you think clover creek is better than WHA at this age?

I can send you our line up for courses based upon wanting Ivy when I am not on my iPad. It is more focused on Humanites because that is where my Ds is, but it might give you an idea of what I am talking about in terms of keeping the focus subjects open.

Science and math are not the places my son gets super geeked out. I have those subjects planned down to the curriculum and everything. More than likely, he will not be changing them much. Humanities are only about two years out with much specificity. He just gets too excited about different facets of these subjects for me to put too much energy in planning.

Honestly, if she would be happy looking into four different sections of science each day, I would let her. Two years ago my son spent five months doing three languages a day (Latin, Ancient Greek, Spanish) and no science. He eventually dropped Greek, and picked up Chemistry. He was 10. It had no bearing on where he is now in science or in languages. He was just figuring himself out. Now he wants to put Spanish on the back burner and pick up French. Okay. Who knows if he will really enjoy it or not. For a year, he did Japanese. It doesn't matter. No one is ever going to see it. He is too young.

Math is still a giant mish-mash of geometry, algebra II, and various discrete topics. Rather than getting more specific as he ages, it is actually getting less so. I do not expect it to even out until he is 14 and we really have to pick a class for AP testing.

Protect these years where she can freely explore just about anything her heart desires. They are fleeting. All too soon, if she chooses a subject, she will have to complete it rigorously for credit. Right now, let her get super geeked out without worry.

ETA: typos

Edited by EndOfOrdinary
  • Like 1

Sorry, I can't comment on Clover Creek versus WHA as I'm not there yet. I will say that I was pretty impressed by what I saw on the open house courses. The other WTM boardies who have shared their experiences seem to speak very highly of WHA courses and the quality of the instruction. I actually like the fact that WHA courses meet twice weekly online. I just don't think weekly is enough for a rigorous science course.

• Like 1

Here is our science and math (AoPS) line up:

Earth Science with Tarbuck; Biogeochem for applied chemistry; Intermediate Algebra (7th Grade)

Human Physiology with Stanfield; on the look out for a biochem book; PreCalculus or the rest of Intermediate Alg (8th Grade)

AP Bio with Campbell & Reece; AP Chem with Chang; Calculus or the rest of PreCalculus (9th Grade)

Since Ds is not STEM, this is pretty solid. We even have the books already. No outsourcing. No major decisions.

The Humanities plan is long, messy, and changes like crazy. Here it is:

7th Grade

History of the Greeks & History of the Romans with Lukeion

Roman Roads Media Year 2: Romans

Latin 2 with Lukeion, French with First Start French 1&2

Composition with Lukeion

Literature & Political Theory with a stack of books

Finish AP Art History

8th Grade

Full Middle Ages Run with Dialeader's Great Courses

Roman Roads Media Year 3: Christiandom

AP Micro & Macro Economics (not sure on provider yet)

Advanced Composition with WHA or Advanced Research Writing with Lukeion

Latin 3 with Lukeion, French (not sure on provider yet)

9th Grade

APUSH (not sure on provider)

Great Course: Skeptics Guide to U.S. History

Howard Zinn-People's History of the United States; David Lowen-Lies My Teacher Told Me

Advanced Research Writing with Lukeion unless taken last year

AP Latin with Lukieon

10th Grade ???

Age of Exploration and Renaissance with a stack of Great Courses

AP Comparative Government & AP U.S. Government with PA Homeschoolers

11th Grade ???

Industrial Revolution and Modernism

Roman Roads Year 4: Moderns

AP European History (don't know the provider yet)

Since he is a Humanities kid, I have very little clue passed the very next year (7th Grade). He has found a few providers he likes, so we can fill in Latin through AP and beyond. Same thing with Roman Roads and Great Courses. However, I don't know languages or even English because of his progression being so erratic. Will he want to continue Political Theory? Will he become interested in British Lit? or Russian Lit? or Transcendentalism? Will he decide to go the International route so AP's are out? There are too any courses possible, too many varieties of study, and too much which he could be excited about. Heck, I do not know if he is even going to be homeschooled after 9th grade. He also has the option of Community College courses at 14. The variables are just plain too many. Secondly, if you make her passionate study a cookie cutter process, you eliminate one of the largest assets a homeschooler has for Ivy League admissions. You kill the specific variability which makes her a stand out candidate.

I assume the other live section for Physics at WTMA doesn't work for your schedule? It says there are 7 open seats MW 1PM EST.

I think they opened up a new section recently! When I looked they just had one section and sold out and a delayed section. My DD wanted live. So now I am off to register her in WTMA without a second thought. Heard great things about Amy Upperman. Thanks a lot...

Earth Science with Tarbuck; Biogeochem for applied chemistry; Intermediate Algebra (7th Grade)

Human Physiology with Stanfield; on the look out for a biochem book; PreCalculus or the rest of Intermediate Alg (8th Grade)

AP Bio with Campbell & Reece; AP Chem with Chang; Calculus or the rest of PreCalculus (9th Grade)

Since Ds is not STEM, this is pretty solid. We even have the books already. No outsourcing. No major decisions.

7th Grade

Composition with Lukeion

Finish AP Art History

8th Grade

9th Grade

Howard Zinn-People's History of the United States; David Lowen-Lies My Teacher Told Me

AP Latin with Lukieon

10th Grade ???

11th Grade ???

Since he is a Humanities kid, I have very little clue passed the very next year (7th Grade). He has found a few providers he likes, so we can fill in Latin through AP and beyond. Same thing with Roman Roads and Great Courses. However, I don't know languages or even English because of his progression being so erratic. Will he want to continue Political Theory? Will he become interested in British Lit? or Russian Lit? or Transcendentalism? Will he decide to go the International route so AP's are out? There are too any courses possible, too many varieties of study, and too much which he could be excited about. Heck, I do not know if he is even going to be homeschooled after 9th grade. He also has the option of Community College courses at 14. The variables are just plain too many. Secondly, if you make her passionate study a cookie cutter process, you eliminate one of the largest assets a homeschooler has for Ivy League admissions. You kill the specific variability which makes her a stand out candidate.

I get what you say now. Mine is a complete stem in and out. This year she did Bio, Chem and doing Botanh right now. Next year she wants physics and continue with her research in chemistry. All I have now is her math plan till 9th

6th Geo

7thAlgebra 2

8th pre calc

9th Probably DE since CC is right next to our house or AP calculus

I am letting her choose her science But she never had any real exposure with Physics. So she wants to do it this year.

EndOfOrdinary, how do you teach all these subjects yourself? I am so scared to even attempt past middle school. I am trying to outsource as many as possible.

7th Grade

Composition with Lukeion

Finish AP Art History

8th Grade

9th Grade

AP Latin with Lukieon

10th Grade ???

11th Grade ???

Also is it possible to give Ap exams as 7th grader and 8th grader? I don't want to load her with work so I would like to start the process slowly when things are light. And does Volunteering overseas really count?

I'd suggest getting her to conferences. I know the regional ACS meetings have very low pre-college student and teacher registrations (as in, I think it was $35 for DD and I each to go to SERMACS when it was here in Memphis). Going to conferences has done a lot to connect my DD (currently 12) with people researching stuff that interests her. For her, that's biology, mostly, but if we have a chance to go to a chem conference or a physics conference within a few hours, we do that.

I will say that one side effect is that DD has decided against most of the really competitive, Ivy-type schools. Most of them just plain don't have undergrads presenting at conferences at all, and often don't even have master's students. She is now focusing on state schools with strong undergrad research programs and excellent honors colleges-and an added bonus is that many such schools also have good merit aid for national merit-level students (and her SAT at age 10 indicates that she probably will be national merit level by Jr year, unless she decides to skip the middle man and go to college early). Many of these schools regularly send graduates to the big name grad programs, so that's where she's seriously looking at the Cornell, U.C. Berkeley, UCLA type schools. She started CC classes in Jan, and will likely be doing many of her classes there. She likes the CC schedule over the online APs, and definitely over B&M high school because she likes live classes, but also likes having a lot of time free for the important stuff, like culturing snake fecal samples (no, I'm not kidding...). I figure that it's all middle school at this point, and that even if she gets no credit for such courses in college, it's filling an academic need now, and that's what matters.

• Like 3

Also is it possible to give Ap exams as 7th grader and 8th grader? I don't want to load her with work so I would like to start the process slowly when things are light. And does Volunteering overseas really count?

Both my daughters took their first AP exams in 8th grade:  AP computer science A which has a reputation for being one of the easier APs.  (My dds also had a fair amount of programming experience before taking the class.)

If they get a good score, you'll need to notify the college board that you want to have the scores retained on their record or they might erase it, for some reason I don't understand.  

• Like 1

I believe that you can take the exams, but you have to find a testing site that offers that exam and will take you. You need to remember that you have to request that any scores taken more than 4 years ago be sent to whatever college or program you are applying for as those scores are archived.

• Like 1

You can take AP's anytime. The only thing keeping Ds from AP's is the timed writing. He has psyched himself out about the short answers. So keep that in mind when you practice.

Dmmetler is right about looking into where yuor Dd wants to go. My kid is looking at diplomacy and linguistics. He is heavily interested in Classics. The Ivies meet his needs. Sciences are a bit of a different ball game, though not one I am well versed in. In general, the traditionally prestigious is not necessarily where your daughter is going to find the best experience for her resume.

I do not teach most of the classes myself. We do the math, science, political studies, literature, and religious studies at home. They are either straight forward or greatly aided by the Internet. However, he maxed me out on English, Latin, and history a bit ago. I just have not found specific providers yet for many of the classes listed because I do not know where his maturity and ability will be at the time. I know the courses only because they are so general and because of the career path that is slowly taking shape.

He loves Lukeion and will be taking almost a full run of what they provide that he hasn't self studied. They are his Latin, English, and History for the next year or two at least. WHA might take over after that, but I do not know. Deek Owens was a complete bust. So was Thinkwell. Find a provider she likes and just max them out. Then move on. French is currently appealing so I can tread water a little longer with languages using at home curriculum. The Great Courses do a lot for us. He can usually find just about anything he could want there. They buy me time to find live online classes.

I'd suggest getting her to conferences. I know the regional ACS meetings have very low pre-college student and teacher registrations (as in, I think it was $35 for DD and I each to go to SERMACS when it was here in Memphis). Going to conferences has done a lot to connect my DD (currently 12) with people researching stuff that interests her. For her, that's biology, mostly, but if we have a chance to go to a chem conference or a physics conference within a few hours, we do that.

I will say that one side effect is that DD has decided against most of the really competitive, Ivy-type schools. Most of them just plain don't have undergrads presenting at conferences at all, and often don't even have master's students. She is now focusing on state schools with strong undergrad research programs and excellent honors colleges-and an added bonus is that many such schools also have good merit aid for national merit-level students (and her SAT at age 10 indicates that she probably will be national merit level by Jr year, unless she decides to skip the middle man and go to college early). Many of these schools regularly send graduates to the big name grad programs, so that's where she's seriously looking at the Cornell, U.C. Berkeley, UCLA type schools. She started CC classes in Jan, and will likely be doing many of her classes there. She likes the CC schedule over the online APs, and definitely over B&M high school because she likes live classes, but also likes having a lot of time free for the important stuff, like culturing snake fecal samples (no, I'm not kidding...). I figure that it's all middle school at this point, and that even if she gets no credit for such courses in college, it's filling an academic need now, and that's what matters.

Thank you. I looked into the conferences. The thing is she is so much into lot of tournaments and horse shows, we travel a lot. But I am on a lookout for the conferences in Houston. I have asked For an appoimtment with chemistry professor in our local community college. You have given me a lot to think about.

You can take AP's anytime. The only thing keeping Ds from AP's is the timed writing. He has psyched himself out about the short answers. So keep that in mind when you practice.

Dmmetler is right about looking into where yuor Dd wants to go. My kid is looking at diplomacy and linguistics. He is heavily interested in Classics. The Ivies meet his needs. Sciences are a bit of a different ball game, though not one I am well versed in. In general, the traditionally prestigious is not necessarily where your daughter is going to find the best experience for her resume.

I do not teach most of the classes myself. We do the math, science, political studies, literature, and religious studies at home. They are either straight forward or greatly aided by the Internet. However, he maxed me out on English, Latin, and history a bit ago. I just have not found specific providers yet for many of the classes listed because I do not know where his maturity and ability will be at the time. I know the courses only because they are so general and because of the career path that is slowly taking shape.

He loves Lukeion and will be taking almost a full run of what they provide that he hasn't self studied. They are his Latin, English, and History for the next year or two at least. WHA might take over after that, but I do not know. Deek Owens was a complete bust. So was Thinkwell. Find a provider she likes and just max them out. Then move on. French is currently appealing so I can tread water a little longer with languages using at home curriculum. The Great Courses do a lot for us. He can usually find just about anything he could want there. They buy me time to find live online classes.

She is talking about Engineering and possible architect. I feel like she will do excellent in medical field as well.

She has done Chemistry with Elements, Botany with Elements, Holt biology and I signed up for WTM academy logic stage physics now. Do you think she can delve into highschool science after this and possibly prep for an Ap exam of her choice? She Does a lot of competitions in writing which is always timed. So I don't see an issue with that. But her handwriting is horrible. Lol

I am not going to let Ds hold off on AP tests any longer than next May. He will be 13 - 7th Grade. He could have passed Environmental Science two years ago because of all his non profit work. Much like the commenter above whose children had a significant background in Computer Science. He could pass European History or World History right now, but he does not want to force himself into the rigid boundaries necessary to do so. Just depends on what the kid is into.

As long as the child recognizes the AP tests are just a hoop to jump through, they can basically take them anytime. Get a study guide so you know the exact confines of the test. Do extensive practice on the specific writing forms the test is looking for. Find a provider who is willing to let your minor test with their older kids. It is not a complicated process. The scores are eliminated unless specifically requested to be kept, so if the money and time do not bother you, it is rather painless.

The tests are just very rigid on what they are looking for by means of content and response. Recognise that the AP's are not the end. They are just a tiny mark to verify extremely specific standards. As long as your daughter is wanting to take the test and it is her choice, then you are probably good. For most young kids who are successful, the kid is just super geeked out in their lives and the AP tests are just an after thought.

I do not know about the classes you listed, but as far as I am aware Holt and logic stage courses are no where near rigorous enough. The standard AP Bio text is Campbell Reece. I am pretty sure the AP physics is Calc based. These are not the tests my kid cares much about, so I am not as well versed as I am in the history/lit/social sciences.

If your DD is looking engineering or architecture, that is not Harvard. MIT, possibly Harvey Mudd for engineering, but architecture is a different batch all together. It is not necessarily bad to create an Ivy resume, but I would not bave her begin picking schools until she is really sure she wants to go in a specific direction. If you have not read it already, MIT's admissions published a blog post called Applying Sideways. The Calculus Trap might really be beneficial to read as well.

I am not going to let Ds hold off on AP tests any longer than next May. He will be 13 - 7th Grade. He could have passed Environmental Science two years ago because of all his non profit work. Much like the commenter above whose children had a significant background in Computer Science. He could pass European History or World History right now, but he does not want to force himself into the rigid boundaries necessary to do so. Just depends on what the kid is into.

As long as the child recognizes the AP tests are just a hoop to jump through, they can basically take them anytime. Get a study guide so you know the exact confines of the test. Do extensive practice on the specific writing forms the test is looking for. Find a provider who is willing to let your minor test with their older kids. It is not a complicated process. The scores are eliminated unless specifically requested to be kept, so if the money and time do not bother you, it is rather painless.

The tests are just very rigid on what they are looking for by means of content and response. Recognise that the AP's are not the end. They are just a tiny mark to verify extremely specific standards. As long as your daughter is wanting to take the test and it is her choice, then you are probably good. For most young kids who are successful, the kid is just super geeked out in their lives and the AP tests are just an after thought.

I do not know about the classes you listed, but as far as I am aware Holt and logic stage courses are no where near rigorous enough. The standard AP Bio text is Campbell Reece. I am pretty sure the AP physics is Calc based. These are not the tests my kid cares much about, so I am not as well versed as I am in the history/lit/social sciences.

If your DD is looking engineering or architecture, that is not Harvard. MIT, possibly Harvey Mudd for engineering, but architecture is a different batch all together. It is not necessarily bad to create an Ivy resume, but I would not bave her begin picking schools until she is really sure she wants to go in a specific direction. If you have not read it already, MIT's admissions published a blog post called Applying Sideways. The Calculus Trap might really be beneficial to read as well.

Thank you so much. It is extremely helpful.

• Like 1

Also, if she's going for competitive colleges, keep an eye on SAT-2 tests. Holt bio doesn't have everything needed for the AP, but it is very closely aligned with the SAT-2. You may find this is the case with other SAT subject tests as well-that it's better to take them after a high school level course than after a college level one, which often means doing them in middle school or even late elementary. There are schools for which an AP exam or college class does not substitute for the subject test.

And, since it's college board, you have to request score retention under age 13. It's a good idea to do them no later than about April so that you can get scores back and see them before you need to contact them to retain scores, or to call and request before your child actually takes the test. I have read horror stories of scores for later tests being deleted from their records even before they get to the child in the mail for kids under age 13, which isn't a big problem for the full SAT, where any kid taking it early is probably going to take it later anyway (and where programs that use early tests tend to accept a copy of the student report), but stinks for Subject tests or AP tests.

• Like 2

Oh no! I used Holt just for middle school. I am definitely enrolling her in WHA science for 7th grade and start prepping for Ap slowly instead of cramping it all up for highschool. Sat 2 exams are always inline. ddmmetler you and your daughter are doing amazing. I read your posts offer and cheer for you guys everytime your dd accomplishes something. I totally value your input. My dd loves all her subjects at this point and start prepping her for a very easy one. Mine being someone who thrives under stress wants it to be a very difficult subject to start with, I put my foot down on this own and we both agreed on Ap psychology after researching. She always asks me about reading minds and stuff. So she will find it intersting and from what I learn it is an easy exam compared to some others out there. What does the hive think?

Also should I enroll her for a Ap class online or is it ok for her to self study with me? But she cannot have Ap on her transcript without approval? Am I right? Is it important to have Ap psychology on it or just psychology with Ap exam will suffice? If we start will an Ap textbook and Barron's will be enough to study. She always asks for challenge and got very excited when I told her about it and at the same time I don't want to burn her out and kill her love for learning.