Menu

Combining levels of HO

Sally Day

Do you mean that you'd teach two separate lessons, or that the 4th grader would take level 1 and 2 both simultaneously?  
Level 2 is not a more in depth version of level 1, it is different time period and it deosn't line up geographically.  In level 1 you are learning ancient Carthage and Persia and Egypt, in level 2 you are learning Charlemagne and Beowulf and the Holy Roman Empire.  

I haven't used HO Level 1. When my kids have used HO Level 2, I'll admit that they did it mostly independently. (I can't leave anything alone, so I completely redid their checklist because I had a different spine & added some books. I just had my kid use the checklist to pace & plan their work for the year.)

When we study history, in general, the younger kids are all studying the same time period (Ancients this year), but may be using different resources. The older kids are mostly independent, but we do read alouds or history-related movies together. Sometimes, one group is ahead or behind the particular time period or geographical region, but it provides some built-in review when we do it that way. :-)

I don't think they line up very well are far as exact topics, and they use different books for spines. Level 1 is also more hands on, with crafts and the like, while level 2 is more about outlining. But if the 4th Grader was able to work independently for the most part, I think you'd be able to use the same read-alouds for both levels, assuming you were going to add read-alouds in the first place. 

No, I mean doing Ancients with both kids but using level one with my second grader and level two with my fourth grader. There are three age-appropriate levels for each time period.

OK, whew . I haven't got to the level 2 stuff yet. But I'll say this,  there is an enormous amount of additional readings and supplements for every topic on level 1.  Maybe 15  books, fiction and nonfiction, at various levels of detail about the time period, soldiers, mythology, etc. There is plenty of content for a motivated 4th grader with level 1 alone.