Menu

Anyone have an outdoor movie projection set up? Want to share lessons learned?

FriedClams

I'd love to set one of these up. We've recently moved into a condo with a great pool area and I don't think anyone would care if we did movies. Of course we'd invite everyone, and I think my teens would love to invite friends. Seems like it could be handy for church parties and scout fun too. Any lessons learned you could share? Things you're glad you did or things this do differently? TIA!

I'm just gonna sit here and eavesdrop.  I'm watching projector prices crawl down and they're almost low enough that I'm willing to pull the trigger.  I love sitting outside when it's nice and outdoor movies would be so much fun.  DS hosts occasional video game parties, so it would be super fun for those too.

it needs to actually be dark out to see a movie outside. So movies cant start till about 30-60 minutes after sunset. In the summer that can mean 930 to 10 to start a movie.  In the winter, that can mean it is too cold out. 

Starting late, can break noise laws so consider how you are going to broadcast the sound. Especially since water amplifies sound waves, playing it by the pool will make the sound carry further.  Just because you are inviting all the neighbors, doesn't mean that they will be nice about hearing a moving playing outside their window at 11pm-12.  Especially people who work in the morning (lots of weekend workers in the world).  

Make sure to advertise what moving you are playing.... heavily.  There are a lot of people who would be freaked out by unexpected sounds coming from outside, especially if they are screaming,  war or machine sounds. 

Check into the laws regarding what movie you want to show.  There are people who will report illegally broadcasts and what is supposed to be a fun night, can turn into a legal nightmare.  I used to be part of a home school group, which had a copyright attorney as a member.  She was very nice, but was always noticing and commenting on peoples violations.  She would speak directly to the offender, so it wasn't gossip, but it was pretty embarrassing for some of those moms non-the-less. 

Hope it works out and it tons of fun.