Menu

ETC 4 vs 5

tdbates78

Hi everyone! So we are in lesson 4 of of Book 4 of ETC. We completed Book 3 recently, so I am fairly familiar with how it works. I am in the midst of lesson planning for the next few weeks, and I've noticed that some of the lessons, starting with lesson 6, seem to be a little more advanced than I was expecting. Not trying to underestimate my girls, but I am a bit concerned so I am allotting extra time for these lessons. We just learned syllables, and they do get it (and like doing them!) but the open and closed syllables seem a little confusing. TBH I don't even remember learning open and closed syllables :)

I recall reading somewhere that some homeschoolers flip flop books 4 and 5, doing 5 first, because they claim 4 is more difficult. Does anyone here do that? I'm wondering if it's true. I do already have book 5 (my girls really like ETC so thus far we've been going through it pretty quickly, doing a lesson a day or over 2 days) so I could switch over 5. But if the lessons build on themselves I don't want to cause confusion.

Guess I'm just looking for advice for those who've used ETC.

Thanks!

Tracy

We did them in order, and refer frequently to open and closed syllables when addressing spelling questions.  

That's why I say it was useful. But at the point at which we got to it, ds wasn't really cognitively ready for the concepts yet. And book 5 hardly uses them at all and focuses on other new patterns. That's why it seems really off to me.

I do think other things teach the open vs. closed concepts much better - other ds had to do AAS, for example and it's covered much more clearly in there, IMHO.

• Like 1