Menu

S/O 12th grade science-what to do following Apologia Bio/Chem/Physics for 12th grade-wants to do nursing for college

She did well in Apologia and liked it. (She is finishing Algebra 2 this year-Saxon. Math is not her best subject. She'll prbly do Pre-Calc next year for math.)

What should we do for science for 12th grade?

I thought about having her do an online college course, but will science be hard to do online (ie-labs, etc)?

I also don't want her to get turned off science by taking an online science course, since she'll need to enjoy it for nursing.

Any recommendations for GOOD (engaging) online science courses or other 12th grade science suggestions? Thanks!

Definitely Anatomy & Physiology. My college frsshman nursing major is sooooo happy she took a year of A&P in high school; she's doing much better in that class this year than most students at her school, and she credits it to a VERY challenging senior year science class. A&P is a "weed out" course in many nursing schools, so the better prepared students have a big advantage.

• Like 1

I don't see A+P for high school on Apologia's site. Is it Advanced Biology? http://www.apologia.com/180-advanced-biology

Fourisenough-I'd love any other recommendations for senior high school year for good prep for future nursing major. What math? Any other helpful school subjects she should take (online or whatever!) What about extracurriculars or ANYTHING else you think would be helpful?

-Also, did your dd do the Apologia A+P at home, online or in co-op? Pros/cons? Would it be ok for a responsible, mature senior who has had three years of Apologia to do totally independently at home? Are the labs doable easily at home? THANK YOU so much for any tips!

Thanks for the rec for giving her a leg up for college A+P! Wouldn't have thought of that!

Edited by HappyGrace

I don't see A+P for high school on Apologia's site. Is it Advanced Biology? http://www.apologia.com/180-advanced-biology

Fourisenough-I'd love any other recommendations for senior high school year for good prep for future nursing major. What math? Any other helpful school subjects she should take (online or whatever!) What about extracurriculars or ANYTHING else you think would be helpful?

-Also, did your dd do the Apologia A+P at home, online or in co-op? Pros/cons? Would it be ok for a responsible, mature senior who has had three years of Apologia to do totally independently at home? Are the labs doable easily at home? THANK YOU so much for any tips!

Thanks for the rec for giving her a leg up for college A+P! Wouldn't have thought of that!

My DD homeschooled through 8th, but attended PS for high school. Her A&P class was taught by a part-time teacher who also teaches at a local college. They did a lot of dissecting; not sure how easy it would have been to pull-off at home. Do you have a good dual enrollment option for her to take it at CC or local university?

As for other courses she took junior/senior year that were helpful: AP Bio, AP World History, AP Stats, AP Psych, AP English Lit, and a genetics seminar (non-lab class focused on application of genetics - fabulous course that really got her thinking at the college level). She went in with a lot of AP Credit and it all applied to her nursing program or gen eds, so she will either graduate a sem early or be able to finish several minors in other areas that interest her. She LOVES that she doesn't have to take any more science or math pre-requisites and can get right into her nursing courses next semester.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

-Also, did your dd do the Apologia A+P at home, online or in co-op? Pros/cons? Would it be ok for a responsible, mature senior who has had three years of Apologia to do totally independently at home? Are the labs doable easily at home? THANK YOU so much for any tips!

Thanks for the rec for giving her a leg up for college A+P! Wouldn't have thought of that!

I teach A&P at our co-op. I have had several students who graduated later tell me the class did help them in nursing school. The labs in the Apologia book are almost all slides. There are tons of excellent online microanatomy slides online. I do not have my student buy a microscope and the slides and do them at home. The slide photos online are so much better quality that I think you learn more. If a student has a microscope and wants to use it, that's fine as well but it's not necessary. The other labs are dissections. There are three: a cow's eye, sheep's heart and fetal pig. You can easily get the specimens at Homeschool Science and they also offer very good dissection guides that are inexpensive. There are also good online videos of dissections as well as some virtual dissections online. I think a motivated student could do the class independently. 

Yes, my daughter is doing Advanced Bio this year and loving it! They do 3 dissections--a sheep or cow's eye & heart, and a fetal pig. There are also prepared slides you can get (we already had a microscope, so we did get the slides), plus a blood-type kit, and there's a cadaver dissection on the CD-ROM. There's an accompanying Anatomy coloring book where you label things (make sure to get the exact one recommended because the page numbers and illustrations match up--I accidentally got the wrong one first--same title but different author).