Menu

Typing the wrong way

My kids do a co-op and they use Typing Races to learn how to type. My kids get on the computer for things like Spelling City, Quizlet, and some other games they like and I notice that they do not type correctly. Their fingers are generally in the right spot and it's not like they hunt and peck, but they definitely don't do it the normal way.

How hard should I try to correct this and really... how would I even? I imagine at this point their habit is fairly well formed and I can't physically put their fingers on the right keys!

That's a tough one.  If you started them on a formal typing program and maybe bribed them and were willing to sit next to them every day for their typing lesson eventually you could reprogram them but it won't be easy.  They have already developed muscle and procedural memory that will have to be unlearned then relearned.

As for how necessary that is, I guess it depends on how efficient their odd typing is.  If they can type well I don't see a need.  If they are typing pretty poorly (low accuracy/speed) then I would absolutely start them on a formal typing program and start trying to improve the situation.  Typing is a rather important skill these days.

• Like 1

Wait, they are only in 4th grade right?  Yes, I would start them on a formal typing program and have them do it every day.  There are several out there that might work.  Type to Learn 4 has fun games and stuff but it tends to emphasize speed too much.  Touch Type Read Spell might work.  Lessons are very short.  Emphasis is on accuracy, not speed.  They can customize their layout and the voice etc.  Both are usually for sale through Homeschool Buyer's Co-op.

DD did some typing in school but she didn't really type well until we started homeschooling in 6th.  She was grumpy about changing her typing habits but I was firm, consistent, and rewarded her and DS for effort.  And I sat nearby every day for over a year making sure that fingers were placed correctly and they had good posture and the right height for the keyboard.  It helps quite a bit to be consistent with those things every single day so muscle memory and procedural memory can develop more rapidly.  Accuracy over speed, too.  Don't push speed until accuracy is taken care of.

This is for 4th grade? I think it is still possible and probably helpful to try and fix the problem. The speed programs are the issue. They really encourage using your strongest fingers. I would really try and cut them out. We use Touch Type Read and Spell and find it really awesome. I do need to sit next to one of my children who is prone to "floating fingers" sometimes and keep him on task. My other child is very obedient and types according to the directions even though she hates it lol. (She has weak fingers and she cries)

• Like 1

Since the lessons are short Touch Type Read and Spell does not take up much time during the day, by the way.  It really doesn't.  And it does help reemphasize reading/spelling and even typing from dictation (once they are at that level).  You will get griping at first, almost certainly, but hopefully if you insist and keep them doing the lessons daily it will smooth out (at least it did here and after a bit they didn't complain anymore they just did it).

I love Homeschool Buyer's Co-op. It's very easy just make sure you read all the details so you know how to retrieve whatever you are buying (if it's electronic).

My son learned to type playing computer games - Toon Town on up to Minecraft.  He is fast - around 60-70 wpm, and fairly accurate.  He does the same thing I do with automatically correcting without a pause (I'm a 100+wpm executive assistant).   He uses all 10 fingers but he definitely isn't typing the "correct" way.  I decided not to pursue having him do it correctly because: 

he's fast and accurate

his method is not ergonomically bad for his hands/wrists

I'd have to keep him off the computer other than doing the class because he would revert to his method during freeplay time.  That wouldn't work around here.

Whether teaching the right way is worth it would depend on how ingrained you think it is - how long have they been typing? how much time do the spend on the computer?  A well-established habit might be pretty hard to replace unless you're willing to sit by them correcting every single time they do anything on the computer.

• Like 1

My son learned to type playing computer games - Toon Town on up to Minecraft.  He is fast - around 60-70 wpm, and fairly accurate.  He does the same thing I do with automatically correcting without a pause (I'm a 100+wpm executive assistant).   He uses all 10 fingers but he definitely isn't typing the "correct" way.  I decided not to pursue having him do it correctly because: 

he's fast and accurate

his method is not ergonomically bad for his hands/wrists

I'd have to keep him off the computer other than doing the class because he would revert to his method during freeplay time.  That wouldn't work around here.

Whether teaching the right way is worth it would depend on how ingrained you think it is - how long have they been typing? how much time do the spend on the computer?  A well-established habit might be pretty hard to replace unless you're willing to sit by them correcting every single time they do anything on the computer.

My son is my quickest and most accurate typer and even though it's not the "proper" way, I'm tempted not to worry a lot about his way for the same reasons you mentioned. He has done the Typing Races program at co-op but has gotten better just by doing games on the computer where he is chatting with friends or whatever.

And like you said, even if we did work on correcting things, he would revert back to his old ways during free time.