Menu

Mattress size - full bed - Update in OP

Night Elf

My dd just got her housing assignment for next year in a dorm. It's a full bed, either 54 x 80 or 54 x 86. I can't find those sizes online. A full is 54 x 75. How on earth will I do sheets if the beds aren't a regular size?

Update: I contacted the housing department and they told me it was a typo on the website and thanked me for bringing it to their attention. :)

Edited by Night Elf

Amazon rarely fails me

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00A1PQE6I/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1486932261&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=54x80+sheet+set&dpPl=1&dpID=41RviyXVCPL&ref=plSrch

Search their site for "54x80 sheet set" and there are a bunch of options.

ETA it's a "Full-XL" sheet size

Edited by AK_Mom4

mattresses at dorms etc are notoriously difficult to get sheets for. They are often extra long or long.  When DS1 went to a summer intensive in which he was housed in a dorm, they kept stressing on all the dorm paperwork that the beds did NOT require extra long sheets, that regular twin sheets would be fine.  They said it over and over and over again, lol. I am guessing that is because they were the exception and not the rule.

if it's a dorm - I'd expect it to be a xl-twin.  which is standard  39" twin width, but 80" long

xl twins are fairly standard in dorms/student housing in which the school supplies the bed.  xl-twin sheets are easily obtained.

I did see a note there is a xl-full  54" x 80".

Goodness. If 54 x 80 is considered a full XL, what on earth is 54 x 86? I guess she should contact her Housing department and ask if they can tell her what size she is getting.

I'm guessing that 86 is a typo.  a cal-king (the longest) is only 84.

eta: i wonder if it was supposed to be 76, as that's standard full length.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

I'm guessing that 86 is a typo.  a cal-king (the longest) is only 84.

eta: i wonder if it was supposed to be 76, as that's standard full length.

Exactly. But they list both. It says mattress is 80" by 54" or 86" x 54" Full. I don't know why they have both listed. It doesn't make sense.

She's definitely in a full bed though. She's in an XL twin this year in a double occupancy. Next year she's in a single bedroom in an apartment style dorm. The beds are bigger.