Menu

camper question

ProudGrandma

If you have used/owned (or own still) a travel trainer (not 5th wheel) that had 3 bunks, outside kitchen, c shaped dinette, one slide (maybe 2)....can you please answer a couple questions for me?

1) which camper did you have/use?

2) did you have enough storage for all of your things to have a decent home?

3) what did you pull it with?

4) over all, did you like it? why or why not? (or even which things did you like or not like)

thanks.

We own one (Dutchman) that has two full size bunk beds and the c shaped dinette. The couch we upgraded and folds out into a Queen size bed. We didn't care for the air mattress version and wanted better. We did not buy one with an outside kitchen as it was an extra 500 to the price and I could make my own cheaper.

We have all the comforts of home with it. I bought an electric griddle, folding table and a few other things for my outdoor kitchen. Easy set up and take down. The table can be slide in between the dinette and couch for storage. Now ours just has a shower instead of a tub. We preferred that as it is easier on my DH. We have storage under the bunks, the master, dinette and cabinets. I will say that ziploc space bags are awesome in maximizing space. I do keep a small shop vac in the cargo space.

DH has an heavy duty diesel for towing.

If I had to buy another one, I would probably buy the same type. It has everything I need.

Edited by itsheresomewhere

1) which camper did you have/use?

A Hybrid, with a total of 3 canvas-sided fold-outs (both sides and the front/over the hitch) that were queen-sized beds, plus a U-shaped dining area that also converted to a 4th queen bed. It also has a bathroom with a small tub and shower -- there was enough room to store a few medium plastic crates or tubs in the bathroom if you wanted. Built-in storage included two 18-inch wide closets -- one was the full height of the trailer, the other was about 3/4 the height as the water tank was under that closet -- plus cupboards above 2 sides of the U-shaped dinette, and pull-out drawers under the U-shaped dinette seats.

2) did you have enough storage for all of your things to have a decent home?

WAYY more than enough. We're only a family of 4, and we were used to previously just back-packing or car-camping with a tent, so it felt like being in a motel. ;)

3) what did you pull it with?

Chevy Suburban, V-8 engine.

4) over all, did you like it? why or why not? (or even which things did you like or not like)

It was fine. The kitchenette had several stove-top burners, a small oven, a microwave, fridge and a roomy sink. We attached a hinge to an old wooden cutting board, and attached it to one the side of the cabinet by the sink to flip up as additional counter space for cooking, because that's about the one thing there really wasn't much of at all -- you would have to use the table. I also had a big plastic cutting board that fit over the top of the sink and by covering up the sink, I also could have counter work space right by the stove.

We used our RV for one longer trip (3 weeks) traveling through 6 states, and then several short camping trips. And a friend used it for a month, parking it in an extended stay RV site. It was more than enough amenities for what we were used to and what we needed. :)

The only things we didn't like:

- Shower

The water tank was small (10 gallons), so showering in the RV was difficult for everyone to have hot water -- rinse off, turn off water, soap up, rinse off, turn off water, wash hair, rinse off, out. We could get through 2 people, and then had to run the propane heater for half an hour or more to warm up another batch of water for the next 2 people.

- Gas Mileage stinks

Our Suburban normally gets 15mpg, sometimes as much as 17-18mpg on the freeway -- pulling an RV dropped that down to about 9mpg -- and it was down to 6mpg getting over some pretty stout mountains. Also, the extra weight means going slower and adding time to your drive.

- Driving/Towing

High winds can get spooky, as they can push your trailer into the other lane or even overturn your trailer. We kept having flat tires, too, on our longer trip -- about 1 per week. Also, while we weren't driving on the East Coast, I believe a lot of highways restrict the use of towed RVs, so you would want to check on that before heading on a trip into some areas.

- Cost and Quality of RV sites

A lot of RV sites have high per-day costs (sometime only about $20 a day less than a motel would have been), and the sites are often pretty far away from where you would like to be sight-seeing. The quality of facilities at some RV sites was lacking -- most that we stayed at had showers that ran on a timer, and you had to use quarters to add more time.

- Set Up/Tear Down

Also, while the whole family had a routine for set-up/tear-down so that it went fast, on our longer trip, we were setting it up every night, and tearing it down every morning to drive to a new site. That gets old really fast. I think the best use of an RV is to drive to your site, park it and set up, and then spend several days to a week to explore that area and use the RV as home base.

Edited by Lori D.

My dh and I have discovered Full-Time RVers on youtube.  Many of them will explain their ups and downs with various RVs.

Here's our favorite.  Less Junk More Journey, with a 2 year old daughter and an Airstream.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2IENUorXc6kRtIiAGPRKZA

This past week, they joined the Full Time Families group meet-up, which by definition would be homeschoolers, & walked thru many different RVs.

At this point, we watch it for entertainment, but we've learned a lot.  Best wishes!

• Like 1

We have a 35' bunkhouse Class A.

Today DH and I are going to look at some Class B's.

Yes, we're considering going from something huge to something relatively tiny.

RV'ing of any kind is all about trade offs -- cost, convenience, size, ease of set up/breaking down, ease of driving. Lots of things to consider.