Menu

On the fence about 7th grade

I was on the fence about keeping my oldest at home next year.

Then I had three friends (not friends with each other) post to Facebook about the horrible HORRIBLE things they found on their sixth graders phones, from school.

And last month, a senior was arrested for possession of nude selfies of girls from the 7-10 grades. ( small school, junior high is in the same building as the high school).

Nope. Not happening. I'm not generally an alarmist, but no.

I am no longer even near the fence. Now I need to start planning.

• Like 5

I've been toying with the idea of putting our son in 6th grade next as well. I was even thinking of having him shadow for a day. So thank you for saving me (us) a lot of hours mulling over this!!! I probably would have come to the same conclusion for different reasons, but I would have wasted way more time and energy...

• Like 1

That's so sad! I homeschooled my kids through high school. It was hard work at times, but I don't regret it for a minute--wouldn't trade away that time with my teens (and both have expressed that they are glad too). If you are able to, it can be a wonderful journey, and you can walk with them as they navigate all the minefields that are around them in these teen years. 

• Like 2

I was on the fence about keeping my oldest at home next year.

Then I had three friends (not friends with each other) post to Facebook about the horrible HORRIBLE things they found on their sixth graders phones, from school.

And last month, a senior was arrested for possession of nude selfies of girls from the 7-10 grades. ( small school, junior high is in the same building as the high school).

Nope. Not happening. I'm not generally an alarmist, but no.

I am no longer even near the fence. Now I need to start planning.

And that's just the stuff the parents know about. It's sad and scary......But honestly homeschooling from 7th on is just when it really gets good imo (on most days at least). :)