Menu

check out this problem

I think pattern blocks come in standard colors. The hexagon is always yellow. The square is orange. The trapezoid is red. The triangle is blue. But a kindergartner might not remember that and if the worksheet is not in color, and the parents don't know that, it makes is challenging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think pattern blocks come in standard colors. The hexagon is always yellow. The square is orange. The trapezoid is red. The triangle is blue. But a kindergartner might not remember that and if the worksheet is not in color, and the parents don't know that, it makes is challenging.

Those are not the colors of my set.

The worksheet is from Saxon math. The classrooms typically have the Saxon math manipulative kits. I would have assumed this worksheet was suppose to have been completed during class time. The Saxon homework that local private schools send home is typically the drill sheets.

Those are not the colors of my set.

Interesting. What brand do you have?

In any case, I have seen kids bring math problem like this home before where unless the parent has other information, you can't answer the question. I had a friend whose daughter brought home a math worksheet for homework that asked the child to write how many cubes there were in the picture, but there were no cubes in the picture. There were some squares that had a bump on top and a circle in the middle. I guess they were supposed to look like stacking cubes but they were squares with bumps and she was completely confused by the worksheet.

• Like 1

What am I missing? My friend posted her kindergartner's math problem on FB.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/scschoolfiles/617/math_40_performance_task.pdf

Wouldn't they need to be in color to get the answer? Or is there something really simple that I'm just not seeing... if there is, I'm going to feel really dumb!

Yep, you can't really do this worksheet unless you have a set of pattern blocks, or know what they are and can Google them to get the colors.  This is teacher error.  

Go easy on the teacher.  As I have told my upper-level math students, while I *assign* the homework, I do not actually go home and do it, so sometimes they may find a problem that has some kind of issue with it.  "In that event, don't panic - just contact me, or make a note of it and ask your question at the beginning of the next class, when I ask if anyone has any questions.  If it's an issue that prevents you from doing the entire homework assignment, then contacting me as soon as possible will mitigate the problem early enough that I can provide a work-around or explanation so that the homework can be completed and we can keep on track."

This is kindergarten.  If the student does not complete the homework, it is unlikely to create a major problem for the student, so I would drop a quick, polite, understanding email to the teacher to give her a heads up, Google the pattern block colors, and help the child complete the worksheet.  I would also make it a teaching moment for the student - sometimes adults mess up, and it's ok to ask for help when things don't seem right.