Menu

If you have a kid in WHA's Pre-Calc class ...

What book is the class using this year?

I just noticed that the book listed on the WHA main site is Larson's 7th edition "Precalculus with Limits: A Graphing Approach."

I seem to remember that previously it was McDougal Littell's "Advanced Mathematics, Precalculus with Discrete Mathematics and Data Analysis" (by Brown?).

That's what I remember looking up recently, too, RootAnn (the book by Brown).  That's interesting that the Larson book is on the current booklist as it is the textbook that HSLDA Online Academy is using for Pre-calc/Trig this year,  I haven't a clue what the difference between these two books are.  Does this make you happy or sad or your not sure?

My boys are in WHA's PreCalc this year, using the McDougal Littell Advanced Mathematics text.

Hadn't looked at the math texts for next year, yet. I sure hope they aren't changing. REALLY hope they aren't changing for Geometry because I was planning to have my dd do Jurgensen's there next year!

ETA: Phew. Looks like they're still using Jurgensens next year.

Edited by yvonne

I'm sad. I already have TWO pre-calc books (including the one by Brown).  :banghead:

That's what I remember looking up recently, too, RootAnn (the book by Brown).  That's interesting that the Larson book is on the current booklist as it is the textbook that HSLDA Online Academy is using for Pre-calc/Trig this year,  I haven't a clue what the difference between these two books are.  Does this make you happy or sad or your not sure?

I may have to email the teacher (there are at least two listed for Pre-Calc next year, maybe three?) to find out if there is really going to be a change.

:blink:  :mad:  :thumbdown:  :cursing:

Mrs. S is the one who confirmed they are switching. She offered to explain the reasoning via phone. I haven't decided if I care enough WHY they are switching. The glowing reviews of Mrs. S are the only reason I was considering WHA for math next year. If I have to buy yet ANOTHER text (and Amazon seems to show $$ for it), I'm not sure it is worth it for me.

I wouldn't like it either if I already owned two textbooks and they changed it up on me.  But I have to admit, RootAnn, that I am happy for the change (no throwing tomatoes, lol) because I had already shown my dd samples of the Larson textbook when we were thinking about taking the course through HSLDA.  Hopefully, you'll end up liking it, although it would have been interesting to hear why they're switching up the textbooks.   

Please if anyone finds out, let us know - we may change our plans for Pre-Calc at WHA also. My main concern is more that it's a new, unproven text in the WHA setting - in the sense that all those that praise Anne Stublen and Pre-Calc have done so based on the McDougal text. But if they've got a great reason, I'd love to hear it. So someone find out! ;)