Menu

Question about grading for high school math....

My son had an IEP in public school before we started homeschooling and he was very behind in math.  I even held him back a grade and he is still behind but making progress.  So now he's in 9th grade doing prealgebra.  I am trying to keep track of grades to make him a transcript in case he needs it, and also it will be good practice for me for when my youngest is in high school.  So my question is,  what grade do I give on math tests when we go back over and redo together the problems that he missed?  I was thinking about giving him half credit for the corrected ones.  Any thoughts? 

If he were going back over and doing them again himself, then one try for half credit would seem reasonable. If you are doing it with him, then I would not in good conscience be able to say it was a test. To me, a test means he is on his own to demonstrate knowledge (even if modified to recieve more than one try).

You going back through with him is wonderful, but it does not seem like any credit should be awarded once you are instructing.

• Like 2

Is it possible for you to give him a practice test first, review the practice test with him and help him make corrections, then give him a test and have him correct the missed problems on his own for credit?

Does he have dyscalculia?

I don't think he has dyscalculia--working memory and processing, along with ADHD are the challenges.  He does do the practice set at the end of the chapter before the test.  We go over each and every problem that he misses in his school work as well.  He has passed the tests even if I don't give him the extra for the problems redone.  The grades aren't as high as I would like but he does still pass.   I read somewhere that some people give 100% on almost everything because they keep working with the child until they get it.   It all seems very subjective. 

I don't think he has dyscalculia--working memory and processing, along with ADHD are the challenges.  He does do the practice set at the end of the chapter before the test.  We go over each and every problem that he misses in his school work as well.  He has passed the tests even if I don't give him the extra for the problems redone.  The grades aren't as high as I would like but he does still pass.   I read somewhere that some people give 100% on almost everything because they keep working with the child until they get it.   It all seems very subjective. 

Yes, even when grading in math, it can end up being very subjective.  Which makes it hard to really judge.

I would document any accommodations you are providing (he may need that for accommodations in more formal settings later on) but definitely go ahead and give him a half credit for any problems he corrects.  

I would also still consider the possibility of dyscalculia.  How is his number sense?  Subitization skills?  

You might read this and see if it speaks to you in some way...

https://www.understood.org/en/learning-attention-issues/child-learning-disabilities/dyscalculia/understanding-dyscalculia#item0

• Like 1

Just an update--Thank you for the responses.  I think I've figured out a good solution.  I will set a certain number and if he misses more than that, I reteach and he takes the test again.  That will also hopefully have the benefit of him trying harder and focusing more because he will not want to have to do it again.    Also, once I figured out the totals, even though it looked like he missed a lot, the scores still in the C-B range because there were so many questions. 

OnceUponATime--I'm not sure if dycalculia fits.  His WJ tester said he was really good at word problems. His math scores have went way up since starting homeschool.  But then other times, he seems confused with the math and tells me that the rules keep changing so I know he really doesn't have a good grasp on it. I think a lot of it is that he doesn't pay attention because I have to work to get his attention quite a bit. 

• Like 2