Menu

Electives through Co-Op Classes

If you have done electives for high school credit through a co-op, would you share what type of classes your students had? Did any of your co-ops offer something unique?

Our co-op parents would like for the kids to have enjoyable and hands-on classes that could be turned into an elective credit with extra work at home.

I think we could definitely do something like Health. Students could do a book at home, and the co-op class could do activities along with it: safety and first aid, nutrition, healthy cooking, etc. We could even have guest speakers come in. We have an RN and an LPN in our group, too.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

My DD has opted for art as an elective taken at the co-op because I have no ability or desire to teach it.  She has also taken sewing, horticulture and flower arranging, and a personal finance class.  DS has taken music, robotics, and the history of video games for the same reason.  Pretty much I teach the core classes (history, English, math, science, and foreign language) and co-op is free for fun stuff or electives because I don't believe the students are serious enough or the hours sufficient enough for credit. 

Edited by reefgazer

My DD has opted for art as an elective taken at the co-op because I have no ability or desire to teach it.  She has also taken sewing, horticulture and flower arranging, and a personal finance class.  DS has taken music, robotics, and the history of video games for the same reason.  Pretty much I teach the core classes (history, English, math, science, and foreign language) and co-op is free for fun stuff or electives because I don't believe the students are serious enough or the hours sufficient enough for credit. 

Thanks! We seem to have several moms who want things we do there to be turned into credit. I prefer a mix, some for credit, some just for fun.

My kids did speech and current events/worldviews through a co-op. We didn't need to add anything to the speech course, but the other was less time and I added at home reading and discussions--items for class-prep as well as outside readings.

My dd has also taken art classes for credit, and we definitely added more art at home to round out the hours needed for credit. I really think almost anything could be "for fun" and optionally turned into a for-credit type of class, depending on what the parent wants to do at home. 

• Like 1