Menu

Verification of Non-Filing (FAFSA verification)

The Girls' Mom

So we are part of the lucky bunch that got selected for verification by the college.  Part of that is wanting a Verification of Non-Filing letter for dd to prove that she did not and was not required to file taxes in 2015. Aside from the ridiculousness of this since she was 14/15 in 2015, I also cannot seem to get through to the IRS to order this form (which is due in 30 days).  It won't let me do it online (an error occurred).  It won't let me do it over the phone ("I'm sorry, we are having technical difficulties") and then the message says to do it online.  I also can't get through to the local office to even make an appointment to see someone in person.  (They won't see anyone with out an appointment.)

Has anyone else had to do this, and did you have any trouble?  I've been trying for several days now, with no luck.  I'm planning on going down to the college on Wednesday to see if I can get anywhere there.  

• Like 1

This is happening to lots of kids on College Confidential, too. AFAIK, nobody there was able to do it online. Can you print a paper form and mail it to the IRS maybe?

I can try, but I have zero faith that it will get there, processed, and back to me to send to the college within 30 days.

ETA:  But it is good to know that I'm not the only one having trouble.  Maybe I can get the college to give me an extension.

Edited by The Girls' Mom
  • Like 1

IDOC = Institutional Documentation Service (through College Board)  Evidently it is only available for certain colleges. I'm feeling lucky now.

Through IDOC, we uploaded tax forms and W2s as well as a non-flilng letter for my son. Basically it was just a signed form certifying he did not file taxes because he did not need to for that year. His school requested it and they were sent directly to the school.

• Like 1