Menu

Grade 8 Science - help!

All the planning threads are scaring some motivation into me.

I am at a loss of how to proceed with science for my oldest.  Up to this point, we have dabbled in this and that.  The kids have done RS4K Physics & Chemistry, Mr.Q's Life Science & part of Earth science, and some A Beka science, way back in the elementary grades.  This year we are using, and enjoying Zoology 3.  

I do own two books from the God's Design series: The Human Body & Properties of Atoms & Molecules.  I got them for free though, so I'm not out anything if I choose not to use them.

I looked at Apologia General Science and I just don't think she's ready for it...

She's dyslexic and if we split science, I need her doing reading on her own, which means that having an audio option would be ideal.  I want to be on-track for high school science, so something that would cover a range of topics is probably ideal.

So..give me your miracle science curriculum??  lol

I know you said she's not ready for it, so this might not help, but Apologia does have an audio version I believe.

I wish the sample was larger so I could get a better feel for it.  I think I can get ahold of a copy from a friend, so I can hopefully get a better look at it. :)

Perhaps a range of whatever Audible has? I know they have Bryson's Short History of Nearly Everything. Some Hawking for physics, Kean for chemistry, and so on. These aren't formal curricula, just good books that are enjoyable to read/listen.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What are you high school plans?  Do you plan to do Biology, Chemistry, Physics?  When do you plan to do Physical Science? 

PAC has an integrated Chemistry and Physics course that might be interesting to take a look.  It uses a unit study approach so there are mulitple units, not one big text. 

• 3 weeks later...

What are you high school plans?  Do you plan to do Biology, Chemistry, Physics?  When do you plan to do Physical Science? 

PAC has an integrated Chemistry and Physics course that might be interesting to take a look.  It uses a unit study approach so there are mulitple units, not one big text. 

My thoughts are sort of all over the map right now.  There is a chance she will go online for school for 10-12, so she'd be covering Biology, Chemistry, Physics.  I was thinking Physical science in Gr. 9.  We are really loving the Apologia Zoology 3 book this year, but I am totally uninspired by the General & Physical science books.  I don't know what else is out there though...

• 2 weeks later...