Menu

Spending a second year in Algebra (AoPS?)

Math has always been a strong subject for my daughter.  We did SM & MM in elementary, Lial's pre-A last year and this year she is doing Lial's Alg with Jann in TX's class.  She's doing well but, as I watched her struggle through the last unit, I began to reevaluate my plans for her next year.  Primarily, I'm concerned that she isn't quite mentally mature enough to handle geometry if she hits parts that require a lot of extra work to understand. 

So I'm wondering if it would be better, particularly long-term, if we spent an extra year doing algebra but with a program that takes a different approach or teaching to it.  In particular, I was considering AoPS but I'd be open to others as well.  I also thought about doing a mish-mash of mostly algebra with another program but also adding in some geometry.  

Before last spring, I didn't envision her going into a science career.  I pushed math because she enjoyed it but didn't expect her to need calc-level math (and above) for a career.  But last spring she started talking about meteorology and then this year started talking about physics.  So I'm a bit overwhelmed with figuring it all out now!  I may not even be making my thoughts clear.

ETA:  I also wonder if my worries are more projectional--I had a HARD time with geometry, really hard.  I loved math and loved algebra & trig...but geometry didn't go well.  So my worries may be more worries than actual reasons to not move to geometry next year.  

Edited by Happygrl

Algebra is pretty foundational, I don't really think you can go wrong with taking an extra year to cement it and AOPS will take her well past what ordinary algebra 1 classes do. In fact I think the last several chapters in the book cover topics normally taught in algebra 2.

"She's doing well but, as I watched her struggle through the last unit, I began to reevaluate my plans for her next year.  Primarily, I'm concerned that she isn't quite mentally mature enough to handle geometry if she hits parts that require a lot of extra work to understand."

First, I tend to agree that, if you don't believe that she has a solid understanding of algebra, you should take the time to cement it.  Have you discussed the situation with your daughter's instructor?  It's possible that she will have insight.  Also, it's possible that your daughter may just need some time to digest certain concepts; maybe just some additional review over the summer would be sufficient?  Just a thought.

Second, as for AoPS and with regard to the bolded, if struggling with concepts is frustrating for your daughter, AoPS could be both a blessing and a curse.  On the plus side, it is likely that she will have the opportunity to REALLY struggle with concepts.  On the negative side, it might be frustrating to the point of her shutting down.  AoPS is really hard.  We did the algebra book initially at home (then switched to online), and I have to tell you, some of those problems nearly had ME in tears.  I'm not trying to be insulting- if you are a math person, I apologize-but coming from a mom who got through calculus and statistics in college but was no math or science major, I think AoPS is REALLY challenging.  I would suggest getting a look at the book IRL, so that you have a good idea of the problems and can judge whether it's what you're looking for.  (And we really do love AoPS here.)

Third, have you considered Foerster?  I think it does a really good job of balancing practical and conceptual (it was honestly my first choice, but my DD prefers AoPS-we have radically different brains.)

Good luck!

• Like 2

Maybe she won't need another full year, but half a year (you may not need to start at the beginning of a different algebra book). Foerster has a lot of excellent word problems and might be one to look at, if AoPS isn't a fit. I think I have seen one poster here who had their student do Tablet Class after a first run through with AoPS.

If you have extra time, you could do some work with AoPS probability or number theory books to fill in the rest of the year, or even an intro to computer programming while continuing some light algebra review through the year.