Menu

Weird/dumb question, what kind of Dr. for

SparklyUnicorn

It might depend.  For example, an ENT fixed my kid's full tongue tie when he was a baby already having surgery for something else.  Is this about the mucocele?  That would be an oral surgeon.

Yes

I think the dentist caused this thing, but I don't want to have them touch it.  And I assume medical would pay for this problem since it's not dental.   

So tired of going to doctors.  :glare:

I would probably start with a GP or ENT and let them refer me. Surgeons tend to view everything through that lens, so I avoid them when at all possible. :ph34r:

My ENT seems to be a pretty decent jack of all trades as far as things from the collar bone up. Hopefully you have someone like that. 

I would probably start with a GP or ENT and let them refer me. Surgeons tend to view everything through that lens, so I avoid them when at all possible. :ph34r:

My ENT seems to be a pretty decent jack of all trades as far as things from the collar bone up. Hopefully you have someone like that. 

Yeah I don't know.   My GP will probably blow me off.  I did have to go to her three times (plus once to the walk in part) just to get her to take my GI issue seriously.   An ENT might work but if they can't remove it and have to send me to an oral surgeon than it'll be a waste of money. 

Maybe I could ask them at the oral surgeon place if they deal with that.

I could call the dentist or any dentist, but it'll cost me less money if my medical will pay for it. 

I just want them to freaking cut the thing out of my mouth.  I'd do it myself if I had the right tools.  LOL 

I didn't realize it was something that definitely needed to go. In that case agree with the oral surgeon.

Based on what I read they often try draining it first.  I did it three times now.  I know, way TMI...way way.  But it just keeps coming back.  And I've been extremely careful about using sterilized everything, but gee I don't want to get some sort of infection either. 

It's weird.  It does not hurt.  It's just fracking annoying.  I want it gone. 

Based on what I read they often try draining it first.  I did it three times now.  I know, way TMI...way way.  But it just keeps coming back.  And I've been extremely careful about using sterilized everything, but gee I don't want to get some sort of infection either. 

It's weird.  It does not hurt.  It's just fracking annoying.  I want it gone. 

Okay, is this in your teeth (root area, socket, ??) area or in your lingual (tongue) / cheek area?

Does it need to be drained and then a heavy dose of abx to follow?

See, I'd be seeing my dentist for it, but my current dentist is a jack-of-all-trades kind of guy. 

If you have a name for your problem, call around and see if X doctor will remove it. "Hi, I'm pretty sure I have a "thing-a-ma-bopper", is that something that your ENT/ Dentistry/ Oral Surgery office will take care of." If the person you are talking to doesn't know, ask to talk to the office manager and then he/she will talk to the doctor about the problem.

Good luck!

Kris

Okay, is this in your teeth (root area, socket, ??) area or in your lingual (tongue) / cheek area?

Does it need to be drained and then a heavy dose of abx to follow?

See, I'd be seeing my dentist for it, but my current dentist is a jack-of-all-trades kind of guy. 

If you have a name for your problem, call around and see if X doctor will remove it. "Hi, I'm pretty sure I have a "thing-a-ma-bopper", is that something that your ENT/ Dentistry/ Oral Surgery office will take care of." If the person you are talking to doesn't know, ask to talk to the office manager and then he/she will talk to the doctor about the problem.

Good luck!

Kris

it is nowhere near my teeth (well as far away as anything in one's mouth can be from teeth).  This is absolutely not a dental problem. 

It's a mucocele. 

What Wapiti said. Go see an oral surgeon. When you see the doctor, tell them flat out you want it out. ASAP.

My daughter has had 4 of them (she's 15) and I've had 2. They are a pain in the mouth. Mine just go away by themselves, I just have to leave them alone. Dd's though can get yucky.

Kris

• Like 2

What Wapiti said. Go see an oral surgeon. When you see the doctor, tell them flat out you want it out. ASAP.

My daughter has had 4 of them (she's 15) and I've had 2. They are a pain in the mouth. Mine just go away by themselves, I just have to leave them alone. Dd's though can get yucky.

Kris

Any clue what this is from?

I think this happened because they left the suction instrument hanging in my mouth for too long.  The assistant literally just left it in there and left the room for quite some time.  I was with it enough to realize this, but I couldn't communicate that it was hurting.  And of course they could always claim I was too out of it.  I showed it to them at the follow up and the dentist figured it WAS an injury during the procedure, but she claimed I must have bitten that spot.  It's impossible.  There is no way my teeth could reach that spot no matter how I move my mouth or distort my face.

Any clue what this is from?

I think this happened because they left the suction instrument hanging in my mouth for too long.  The assistant literally just left it in there and left the room for quite some time.  I was with it enough to realize this, but I couldn't communicate that it was hurting.  And of course they could always claim I was too out of it.  I showed it to them at the follow up and the dentist figured it WAS an injury during the procedure, but she claimed I must have bitten that spot.  It's impossible.  There is no way my teeth could reach that spot no matter how I move my mouth or distort my face.

I think mine are related to autoimmune conditions (be it lupus or Sjogren's). I get them when my Lupus gets really bad (which has happened twice).

My daughter.....not sure. One of hers, and the worst one she's had, was because she kept chewing on it (there was no pain). They think she must have injured the spot. This was the only one that they cut and biopsied. (both medically covered but done by the dentist) The others were in various spots of her mouth, but she couldn't chew them. 1 was left alone and she has a scar from that one. The other 2 were drained and she was given steroids. 

Dentist did some research and thinks it might also be autoimmune related, but we really aren't sure. Now, she does have some sort of autoimmune condition, but we don't have a formal diagnosis yet. (suspected MS)

Why did you get it?

My guess would be that you had an injury (check) and possibly have a naturally occurring bacteria in your mouth that is making it worse, which is why it keeps coming back. I wouldn't step foot back in that dentist's office!! Oral infections can be weird. 

Kris

• Like 1

My guess would be that you had an injury (check) and possibly have a naturally occurring bacteria in your mouth that is making it worse, which is why it keeps coming back. I wouldn't step foot back in that dentist's office!! Oral infections can be weird. 

Kris

Yeah I am probably going to look to have the rest of the work done elsewhere.  I just don't want to start over, but I feel like this is pretty careless on their part.

• Like 1

Yeah I am probably going to look to have the rest of the work done elsewhere.  I just don't want to start over, but I feel like this is pretty careless on their part.

I don't think it was careless. I think it was negligent. 

Let's change this a bit: rather than a cyst, you got a cut and a nasty infection? (it's within the realm of possibility).

This infection became bad and went to your blood.

Just because you had a rather "inconvenient" problem from this negligence doesn't change the fact that it was a serious error. I wouldn't file a complaint or even sue them, but I wouldn't go back.

I have low tolerance for medical incompetence. Mistakes happen, we are all human. But they NEVER EVER should have left you alone. That act was negligent.

Kris

What hack jobs. I agree that was very negligent. There is no excuse for leaving the area with a tool actively working in the patient's body. If the tool is in use the technician/hygienist/surgeon/person being paid needs to be watching it actively.

I don't think it was careless. I think it was negligent. 

Let's change this a bit: rather than a cyst, you got a cut and a nasty infection? (it's within the realm of possibility).

This infection became bad and went to your blood.

Just because you had a rather "inconvenient" problem from this negligence doesn't change the fact that it was a serious error. I wouldn't file a complaint or even sue them, but I wouldn't go back.

I have low tolerance for medical incompetence. Mistakes happen, we are all human. But they NEVER EVER should have left you alone. That act was negligent.

Kris

Yeah and who is going to believe me?  Now I have to pay to fix it on top of that.  It already cost me a lot.  The insurance hasn't even yet reimbursed me for the piddly amount it covers.