Menu

Potter's School Writing Fundamentals 6 for an 8th grader? Too easy?

My eldest did Potter's School English 1 as an 8th grader and it was a fairly good fit in terms of difficulty.  My current 7th grader is not as strong in writing and literature as her sister and will be taking tougher math courses, so I was thinking of bumping her down one level lower, but have learned they recommend it for 6th graders.  Has anyone enrolled an 8th grader in Writing Fundamentals 6?

My ds 6th grade is in that class.  The teacher doesn't seem to be a stringent about papers and is on the more encouraging side as opposed to English 1 or other classes of that level.  Here's what they have had for papers so far:

Character sketch- write a descriptive paper (3 paragraphs) on a person you know

Compare/contrast concrete item -3 paragraphs

compare/ contrast abstract item - 3 paragraphs

describe a process abstract and concrete - 1 paragraph

short story - 4 pages

I guess the pace of it seems a lot slower also.  They are given more time to work on their papers and given the first draft feedback as other Potter's school English classes.  My older ds took Narnia for English 1 and I felt it was a pace he could keep up with.  He was a strong writer at that point though.  

Here's some perspective--- If you decided to take all Potter's school English classes from 8th- 12th grade, she could take Writing Fundamentals 6, English1, English 2, English 3, and English4/5 her senior year which will prepare her for college level writing should she go that direction. With English 4/5, you can even get college credit if you choose.   I would be satisfied with that.  

• Like 1

My ds 6th grade is in that class.  The teacher doesn't seem to be a stringent about papers and is on the more encouraging side as opposed to English 1 or other classes of that level.  Here's what they have had for papers so far:

Character sketch- write a descriptive paper (3 paragraphs) on a person you know

Compare/contrast concrete item -3 paragraphs

compare/ contrast abstract item - 3 paragraphs

describe a process abstract and concrete - 1 paragraph

short story - 4 pages

I guess the pace of it seems a lot slower also.  They are given more time to work on their papers and given the first draft feedback as other Potter's school English classes.  My older ds took Narnia for English 1 and I felt it was a pace he could keep up with.  He was a strong writer at that point though.  

Here's some perspective--- If you decided to take all Potter's school English classes from 8th- 12th grade, she could take Writing Fundamentals 6, English1, English 2, English 3, and English4/5 her senior year which will prepare her for college level writing should she go that direction. With English 4/5, you can even get college credit if you choose.   I would be satisfied with that.  

Thanks for this perspective.  It really helps!

Does she have a strong grammar foundation? 

Either way, why not have her try the placement test for TPS Eng 1/Narnia?  It would give you an idea of where the TPS Eng teachers feel she would best fit. It's just a data point. You could always bump her down, if she's on the border or if you feel pretty sure a lower level would be more appropriate given her work load in other subjects. She may surprise you, though, with what she's ready for!  Mostly, I'd be worried that WF 6 might be a little tedious/at a pretty low interest level for an 8th grader.

My dd did the Eng 1/Narnia class in 7th grade and really liked it. It was not that difficult or time consuming for her, but she already had a strong grammar background with R&S 3-6. She also liked to read and was ready for a more substantive, lit-based class rather than a more composition-based class like WF6.

Edited by yvonne

• 8 months later...

I wanted to update this-- Writing 6 has been a good choice for DD.  She is taking a math intensive Physical Science, Alg. 1, and Spanish 1.  Writing 6 has been review for her so far, but it is good for her to feel like she can easily do it rather than struggle through getting the work completed.   All of the grammar has been things we've covered previously.  She has classmates that range in ages from 11- 15, so at 13 she does not feel out of place.   Having had a student do English 1 before, I think it would have been way too much this year. 

Edited by Shellydon
  • Like 1