Menu

What did your student read ....

Wondering if others would care to share what your student read, or is about to read,  during their last 2 years of highschool.

Or what you'd wished they'd read  :tongue_smilie:

DS is doing a literature allsorts for his last year, and I'm coming up short of options for him to select from.

(He's completed a 4 year lit cycle, Ancients to Modern, so we're open to any lit/novel suggestions others may have.)

ETA: He starts back to his last year of educating at home Monday - US grade 12,  NZ Level 13 - and I only have 6 books chosen  :w00t:

Edited by Tuesdays Child

We are 1/4 of the way through the last two years. In the first semester of junior year, my daughter has read selections from her American Literature book on early American lit to the before the Civil War. Civil War period lit begins soon and she's started on The Red Badge of Courage.  

She also has an interest in Northern and Eastern Europe and so far has read:

Pippi Longstocking

Hans Brinker and the Silver Skates

Norse Mythology

We plan to have her read different books as I find them in the library so it will probably be very random. 

• Like 1

DS:

11th grade:

1 semester of Dystopian literature at home 

Orwell 1984, Bradbury Farenheit 451, Huxley Brave New World, Burgess A Clockwork Orange, Atwood The Handmaid’s Tale, James Children of Men, Miller A Canticle for Leibowitz. and a bunch more I forget

1 semester Myth&Folklore DE

Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, The Annotated Brothers Grimm. Caitlin and John Matthews, eds.  The Encyclopaedia of Celtic Myths and Legends. Snorri Sturluson The Prose Edda: Norse Mythology.

12th grade

1 semester Sci Fi DE. Tough extensive reading list, short stories and novels.

+read lots of essays in English Comp.

DD:

11th grade 

British literature after 1700.  Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte), The Tenant of Wildfell Hall (Anne Brontë), Wuthering Heights (Emily Brontë), Frankenstein (Mary Shelley), Confessions of an English Opium Eater (Thomas de Quincey), Oliver Twist (Charles Dickens), 1984 (George Orwell) and plays and poetry by various British authors. The biography of Lord Byron was studied in detail. 

12th grade

1 semester Shakespeare DE

1 semester Fantasy Literature DE. Tough extensive reading list.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

DS:

12th grade

1 semester Sci Fi DE. Tough extensive reading list, short stories and novels.

+read lots of essays in English Comp.

DD:

12th grade

1 semester Shakespeare DE

1 semester Fantasy Literature DE. Tough extensive reading list.

With the semesters of Sci Fi, for your DS, and Fantasy Lit , for your DD, did you compile that yourself?

Or is it a list you could, please, refer me to?

My oldest did (WTM Style) Year 1 in 11th grade and Year 2 in 12th. So, her junior year was a lot of the ancients - Iliad/Odyssey/Aeneid, plays by Aeschylus/Sophocles/Euripides, etc. Some lighter stuff - Julius Caesar and Antony and Cleopatra. The King Must Die and Hamilton's Mythology. Senior year was Beowulf, The Canterbury Tales, Piers Plowman, The Prince, etc. On The Incarnation, Confessions, Rule of St. Benedict. A bunch of Shakespeare we hadn't yet done - Merchant of Venice, The Winter's Tale, etc. I mostly assigned her short works because she wanted time to read on her own. She got into Russian lit that year - Brothers K, Crime and Punishment, Anna Karenina, The Master and Margarita, some short stories and plays. and lots of poetry each year.

My second did American Lit in the 11th grade - Moby Dick, Huck Finn, Frederick Douglass, My Antonia, Fahrenheit 451, Malcolm X, The Chosen, etc. several plays. some poetry. For 12th she did World Lit from about 1800-2000. So, Frankenstein, Communist Manifesto, Heart of Darkness, Siddhartha, Things Fall Apart, House of the Spirits, Young Werther, Fathers and Sons, etc. plays and poetry.

My son is in 11th grade now and doing American Lit, but a different list. A few novels - Huck Finn, The Chosen, Fahrenheit 451, Red Badge of Courage, etc. Frederick Douglass, Up From Slavery, The Souls of Black Folk, Malcolm X.  A few biographies - JFK, FDR, etc. Some christian books - The Cross and the Switchblade, bios of Schaeffer and Moody, Some non-fiction - The Gilded Age, The Tail of Tears, The Saga of the Sioux, etc. A few plays, several short stories, some poetry. Next year is still up in the air!

Edited by Liza Q
  • Like 2

My oldest did (WTM Style) Year 1 in 11th grade and Year 2 in 12th. So, her junior year was a lot of the ancients - Iliad/Odyssey/Aeneid, plays by Aeschylus/Sophocles/Euripides, etc. Some lighter stuff - Julius Caesar and Antony and Cleopatra. The King Must Die and Hamilton's Mythology. Senior year was Beowulf, The Canterbury Tales, Piers Plowman, The Prince, etc. On The Incarnation, Confessions, Rule of St. Benedict. A bunch of Shakespeare we hadn't yet done - Merchant of Venice, The Winter's Tale, etc. I mostly assigned her short works because she wanted time to read on her own. She got into Russian lit that year - Brothers K, Crime and Punishment, Anna Karenina, The Master and Margarita, some short stories and plays. and lots of poetry each year.

My second did American Lit in the 11th grade - Moby Dick, Huck Finn, Frederick Douglass, My Antonia, Fahrenheit 451, Malcolm X, The Chosen, etc. several plays. some poetry. For 12th she did World Lit from about 1800-2000. So, Frankenstein, Communist Manifesto, Heart of Darkness, Siddhartha, Things Fall Apart, House of the Spirits, Young Werther, Fathers and Sons, etc. plays and poetry.

My son is in 11th grade now and doing American Lit, but a different list. A few novels - Huck Finn, The Chosen, Fahrenheit 451, Red Badge of Courage, etc. Frederick Douglass, Up From Slavery, The Souls of Black Folk, Malcolm X.  A few biographies - JFK, FDR, etc. Some christian books - The Cross and the Switchblade, bios of Schaeffer and Moody, Some non-fiction - The Gilded Age, The Tail of Tears, The Saga of the Sioux, etc. A few plays, several short stories, some poetry. Next year is still up in the air!

Thanks Liza Q: for listing titles, along with the path taken.

It's exactly what I was hoping for.

• Like 1

Interestingly - for others who may encounter this thread, later, somewhere - I couldn't find may past threads where others listed their DC's reading options for U.S yrs 11 & 12 (An IRL friend is gifted at high yield engine searches, I'm not  :tongue_smilie:).

As I encounter posts I'll try to come back a list them here.

With the semesters of Sci Fi, for your DS, and Fantasy Lit , for your DD, did you compile that yourself?

No, they were DE, i.e. courses at the university.

DS read Handmaids Tale, WWZ, War of the Worlds, and an extensive compilation of short stories (custom edition assembled by the prof)

DD read one LoTR volume, one Harry Potter book and a whole bunch of other stuff that I cannot remember since it's been 4 years.

• Like 1

Ideas for both genres:

My Sci-Fi / Horror / Fantasy reading list: how does this look?

Reading suggestions for DS -- Sci-Fi / Fantasy books

Sci-Fi Lit. ideas:

Narrowing down a Sci-Fi list

Science Fiction

What is your favorite political Sci-Fi type books

Ender's Game? -- some posts in this thread have sci-fi suggestions

Fantasy Lit. ideas:

Fairy and Fantasy literature for 7th grade -- many titles would work better for high school, so lots to glean from this thread

Fantasy/Sci-Fi with female protagonist for 9th/10th graders

Threads with many titles and resources for creating your own Lit study:

xpost: Any serious Tolkien fans -- Lord of the Rings/go-along works

Science Fiction unit -- Sci-Fi Lit. study resources

Roots of Steampunk Literature -- a Sci-Fi sub-genre

Fairy Tale unit for high school -- fairy tale Lit. study

Need ideas... classics: Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, etc. -- fairy tale Lit. study

Anybody know of a fantasy & science fiction course? -- fantasy & Sci-fi Lit. studies

Utopian and Dystopian literature; and, Dystopian novels -- 2 threads on Dystopian Lit. studies

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2