Menu

Mid-Year Switch to Online Providers - Recommendations (FLVS or NH VLACS?)

We have homeschooled our 9th grader for almost one semester so far, using Derek Owens (Math and Science) and a variety of other local and parent-provided resources. For a number of reasons, we feel like we need to outsource to an entirely online provider for Spring semester. Recognizing it is a little late, we are looking for something comprehensive (ideally), where the parents can be a bit less involved - although we'd like to stay with Derek Owens if possible. For now, we are looking at the Florida Virtual School (FLVS) or the New Hampshire Virtual Learning Academy (VLACS) (these are free for in-state students, but we are not in-state). Aside from math and science, we need the typical 9th grade schedule.

We would appreciate any comments on FLVS or VLACS (or any other suggestions) as well as advice for mid-year adjustments. Many thanks!

Which classes are you specifically looking for? Is there anything he needs to "continue"? A certain history class, for example?

English (Composition/Literature), obviously

History of some sort

Foreign language? 

Elective

Are you looking for live classes or something more like Derek Owens (recorded, do at his pace)? Do you need the provider to do the grading or will you do that?

We are most interested in the following classes (semester 2): Algebra, US History, Psychology (Elective?), Health, and English Composition/Literature. Also, we would like the provider to do the grading. We are interested in both live and asynchronous. Derek Owens has worked well, but I think interacting with other students would be helpful.

Edited by Dbern

My youngest son has taken Digital Arts and my older son is currently taking Astronomy through VLACS.  Both classes are what I consider more on the basic level rather than rigorous but we like them for several reasons.  They are asynchronous without much teacher interaction though I like both teachers my sons have had so far.  Feedback has been prompt and constructive where it occurred.  The quizzes as well as some other assignments are online multiple choice with immediate scoring.  Astronomy has a discussion board.

We use them for electives where my sons just want a basic intro to a topic.  I like that they are an outside provider because both my boys have a hard time to stay on track when they are only accountable to me but you could probably gain the same knowledge from a book or the Great Courses.  For us the courses are free so that is an additional plus.

I think at least some of these course are the same at other institutions as the providers buy licenses rather than writing their own courses.  I am not sure I would use them for subjects like math or English with a student who has an academic bent.  For a student who is less invested in academics and needs a get it done accredited class, they might be a good option.

I have to say I am intrigued by their project offerings and might try that with one of my sons.

ETA: There no lectures at all, students read through the online material and answer questions.

Edited by rdj2027
  • Like 1

We are most interested in the following classes (semester 2): Algebra, US History, Psychology (Elective?), Health, and English Composition/Literature. Also, we would like the provider to do the grading. We are interested in both live and asynchronous. Derek Owens has worked well, but I think interacting with other students would be helpful.

If you are open to a Catholic provider, Homeschool Connections might be a good try to finish out this year. (I'm assuming you are continuing Algebra with Derek Owens. If not, HC has math classes.)

HC has both recorded and live classes. Some of the recorded classes offer instructor grading for an extra cost. 

They have several recorded US History classes - so you could pick the time period (modern, Great Depression, Early, etc.) that he'd be interested in covering. Most classes are 12 weeks, but there are some that are less (4 weeks or 10 weeks). A couple of these offer teacher grading. 

There are 4, 6, & 8 week long writing courses. He could choose a 6 or 8 week writing class and follow it with a 4, 6, or 8 week long literature course. (There are tons to choose from in the recorded class section, a few of the writing ones which offer instructor grading. There are less options for live classes, but there are some.) 

Some of these are available as live classes this "winter" semester. Those would offer grading. Their Health classes are listed under "science" in the live registration (or recorded) link. I didn't see psychology offered.

If you aren't open to a Catholic provider, consider taking a la carte classes from something like the University of Nebraska High School or the University of Missouri High School. I believe both have what you are looking for in terms of asynchronous and the Nebraska one has all the classes you listed. (The biggest pain to the Nebraska option is that you have to have the tests proctored.)

• Like 1

Our dd13 took the HOPE (health class) through FLVS.  It was a check-the-box requirement for a high school credit, and definitely an easy A.  Teacher feedback was consistent and very encouraging. Our daughter completed both semesters for one high school credit in two months.

Our daughter is also taking psychology and 9th grade history through Sterling Academy (an Edgenuity program). She really likes the psychology class, but is just checking the box for the history credit. Each class takes about 90 minutes to complete. 

• Like 1

I'm a Fl resident. I've used FLVS for a few classes, but I probably won't use it again, except for drivers ed.

On the plus side, they have rolling enrollment, so you can jump in at any time. You can also choose just one semester of a class, or drop the second semester after you finish the first of it's not working out.

Dd liked 8th grade science. She had an excellent teacher who was a homeschool dad.

Once she got to high school classes, they were pretty rigid in the schedule. The lack of flexibility was a big issue for me. She could schedule one break week per semester ahead of time, but if something came up and she didn't get 3 assignments completed that week, she was in danger of being dropped. This is especially true the first two weeks. You are expected to complete the first module of any high school class within 2 weeks. If I had known that ahead of time, maybe it wouldn't have annoyed me so much.

Second, neither dd nor ds did well with an entirely online curriculum. They like real books. Reading and watching instructional videos online felt like a waste of time. There was a lot of busy work too. It wasn't any different than the public schools in our area, but that's why I left the system. She did one semester of high school biology through flvs, then we dropped the second semester. She read a biology text and learned more from reading a chapter than from the hours of creating a power point assignment to turn in to flvs.

Oh, and collaboration projects. There is one or two collaborative assignments due each semester. This has the potential to be really frustrating. But they set up live online lessons so sometimes these projects can be completed in one hour with a teacher mediating the class.

My cons may not be an issue for you. If your child will thrive with more structure and with "interactive" videos, it could work very well. I think my problem was that I was caught off guard by the way it was set up. Flvs is very much a public school program--just with slightly more flexibility in when you turn in assignments during the week.

Edited by TKDmom
  • Like 1

Also, FYI, if you decide to take an AP class through flvs, they have strict timetables. You must register by October for the class, and your child signs a contract saying that they will take the AP exam in May. I tried to register for an AP class mid-year (the system will let you) and the teacher called me up and told me it was a bad idea, because dd would be expected to finish the class in less than a semester.