Menu

Is Audible worth the membership?

Ruthie in MS

And for those whose kids have been diagnosed (officially) with something and you want kids books:

Learning Ally offers access to all the books you can handle.  They aren't professionally read, but they are good.  $99 annual subscription but that is less to all they have.

My son (Asperger's and LDs) qualified but we ALL listened!  HAHAHA!

He has outgrown that now (almost 19) and even though we could still get it, we haven't in a couple of years.

I wish that people without a diagnosis could join that.   I wouldn't mind paying more.   

Didn't read the rest of the thread, but does your library subscribe to Hoopla? If so, download the app and check it out. I've cancelled my Audible subscription because so many of the books (tons of Great Courses) are available free and so easily through Hoopla. No more waiting for the ONE digital copy my library owns to be available. I can check out 30 titles per month- way more than I could use. Might be a nice addition for your family if you have access.

We love Hoopla here.   Boxcar children was DD's first chapter audiobook.   Then she wanted to keep going.   The libraries near me have some on CD's but only a few.  Hoopla has them ALL.  I think because they can't be downloaded, only streamed there is less worry about people copying them while they have them checked out, like you can do with Overdrive.  So, publishers or whoever are more willing to have them for loan.  We are limited to 5 per month, so DD got a library card.  

Even though you have Audible,  I would still check out what you library has available.  You can sometimes get library cards to nearby cities too.  For example, I can get a library a library card to any library in Texas that takes state money.   I can get a library card to any in my county that takes county money.   I have access to four libraries overdrive accounts.  For example, I noticed that the entire Narnia series is available on ebooks and eaudiobook.   Same for Harry Patter series.  Just this morning I downloaded a Wilbur Smith audiobook that I haven't read.  That makes my heart sing.  

::sigh:: No, my library system doesn't have anything attached to Overdrive or Hoopla. Mississippi doesn't seem to care about their libraries like other states. This could be a reason why we're the bottom in academic achievement and quality.

I have checked many times because I've heard many good things about both services. Thank you, ladies, for your suggestions. I will put in a request for the services with the main office though. You never know!

• Like 1

Since I made the OP I decided to come back and update. I did choose to join Audible and have maintained membership for the past two months and have acquired six audiobooks. I really do love being able to listen to my books on my tablet or on my phone. My children love it especially. My middle Girl (my auditory learner) who started out her school life hating to read has chosen to listen to the audiobook and then go back and read the book herself. Just in the last two months I have seen/heard an amazing jump in her vocabulary. So far for me, it is worth the investment. I will keep my subscription as long as I find audiobooks that are worth using my credit. Hopefully by then I will have bought all the audiobooks on my wish list using my discount.

If you follow the Read Aloud Revival, she maintains a list of great audiobook deals that can be had if you but them through Amazon rather than audible. I have an Audible membership but have purchased many more books through her tips for cheaper than the listed price in the Audible app.

• Like 2

The best thing to do is to make an extensive to-read list on Goodreads. Then, sign up for daily deals on Goodreads. When a book on your wish list comes up as cheap on Amazon Kindle, it will alert you. Buy the book on Kindle, if you want it, and check to see if there is an Audible narration. Often, the price of the Audible narration plus the Kindle book will be less than a credit. We've probably accumulated 100+ audiobooks this way, and no Audible membership is required.

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 3

We love it. If money gets tight I send in an email to put my account on vacation. No fees or new credits for 3 months but you can listen to everything in your library.

Even if you cancel, you can still listen to everything in your library. I have been cancelled for years at a time and never lost access to my library. One reason I am willing to support audible is this history with them. They house my library even when I'm not paying them anything!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I have never quite understood why people pay for Audible considering Overdrive is free.  I listen to audiobooks constantly.  I probably go through an average of 3 per week and I do not use Audible...only Overdrive.  Hoopla is an option and I have an account, but I Still find Overdrive way more user friendly.

• Like 1

I have never quite understood why people pay for Audible considering Overdrive is free.  I listen to audiobooks constantly.  I probably go through an average of 3 per week and I do not use Audible...only Overdrive.  Hoopla is an option and I have an account, but I Still find Overdrive way more user friendly.

Overdrive is free through your library membership, correct?

Our library's selection in Overdrive does not overlap much with the books in my Audible library. I do generally check two local libraries first. But they don't have the selection and sometimes I want to listen to specific books. For a time that was the Alvin Maker books by Orson Scott Card.

I've also got a lot of the Left Behind Sound and Drama series (I started buying these in Cassette tape, then migrated to CD and went back and used Audible to get stuff that used to be on cassette tape that I could no longer listen to)  I also have a bunch of Safehold books. Our library has some of those -- but not all of them and I prefer doing my re-reading through listening on the way to and from work.

Edited by vonfirmath

I have never quite understood why people pay for Audible considering Overdrive is free. I listen to audiobooks constantly. I probably go through an average of 3 per week and I do not use Audible...only Overdrive. Hoopla is an option and I have an account, but I Still find Overdrive way more user friendly.

I have 3 kids listening to audiobooks every afternoon. The library has lots of titles through overdrive but the majority have waiting lists. I always check the library first, but I'll buy titles that will be listened to over and over again (Harry Potter, Magic Treehouse, etc).

• Like 1

I signed up for the 3 months deal and bought a bunch. Then I went into cancel they asked why, I marked "too expensive" and they said "how about 2 more months at 7.49 per month" and since it gives me a credit I said "sure". Had my 2 months and got my credits. Then I put my account in a no pay status. This means I don't pay for it and don't get the monthly credits but still get the discounts. If something expensive pops up then I will take it out of no payment right now status.

• Like 2