Menu

When you help relatives move...

LucyStoner

they really ought to be actually packed when you show up to do the heavy listing. As in all cabinets and furniture empty and everything sealed into cartons.

My dad knew my husband had one day off work to help him move but was basically not packed at the designated time despite assurances he would be. So my husband spent most of the time helping him pack and now we are doing most of the actual moving after my husband gets off work tonight.

My dad always thinks he can just move his bookcases with books on them and his dressers with crap in them. My husband is like "no. I'm not breaking my back or your much older back to get you moved a mile down the road. 😂

And before anyone says "hire movers" my dad is moving from a 250 sf studio to a 450 SF 1bdrm less than 1 mile away and all of his stuff can fit in a few minivan loads. What I wish I could have done though is have forced him to let me hire out the packing. The minimum charge for movers would be more than his rent is, lol.

We have helped family move many many times and no one has ever been as packed as they thought they would be when we showed up.  I think people just under estimate the amount of time packing takes and get stuck in the details of decluttering and making decisions.

Finally I decided to always show up the day before to help *tidy up* (which always means finish the packing).  Then when DH and others get there, the boxes were ready to actually be moved.

• Like 4

I think relatives should also listen to good advice and actually purchase moving boxes, which truly aren't very expensive, even on a limited budget. Yes I know that boxes from the liquor store are free, but it absolutely enrages me to moves HUNDREDS of liquor boxes containing exactly one toaster, or three dishes, or one towel and two washcloths and then try to play Tetris to make them all fit in the moving truck.

• Like 5

We have helped family move many many times and no one has ever been as packed as they thought they would be when we showed up. I think people just under estimate the amount of time packing takes and get stuck in the details of decluttering and making decisions.

Finally I decided to always show up the day before to help *tidy up* (which always means finish the packing). Then when DH and others get there, the boxes were ready to actually be moved.

A very good idea but not feasible for us this time.

The day before was my son's birthday and I was also watching a toddler in addition to my 2 sons and my neice and nephew so I made it very clear to him that he was on his own packing and cleaning wise and offered to hire someone for packing and cleaning which unfortunately, I knew he'd turn down.

He thought he was basically packed and ready to go. If he was saying he didn't get as much done as he'd hoped, that would be reasonable. No, he just thinks packing is stuffing things into drawers. Which is a recipe for injury, broken furniture or having your belongings spill out over the city sidewalk. 😂

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

Anyone who asks for assistance moving should be packed. We helped my BIL and SIL move early in our marriage, I've never seen two people with so much stuff. Not a thing was packed, I've been a huge fan of regular purging ever since.

My husband showed up awhile back to help a family of 7 move. Not only were they not packed, the middle school aged kids played video games instead of helping. My husband told them, "I can help three hours, let's move the heavy furniture since you need the most help with that."

• Like 2