Menu

s/o Landry Academy has closed...

Just in case someone missed the threads started on Gen Ed and the Chat board, Landry Academy ran into some issues and just announced today that it has closed.  They won't even be able to finish out the Spring semester.  Further information can be found on the following Gen Ed threads.  The 1st one is for what happened, and the second one is to post alternative places to get classes, schools that are trying to help and offering discounts of some kind to those left stranded, etc.

1.  http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/632899-x-post-landry-academy-financial-problems/page-4

2.  http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/633309-so-options-2nd-semester-since-landry-has-closed/

• Like 3

Holy Smokes!   :scared:   I noticed the 1st thread a while ago.  Ds took a semester long Exercise Physiology and Sports Medicine class in 10th grade that had a disaster of a teacher.  Greg Landry finally took over the class.  I always thought the school grew too quickly, going from small and high quality to giant empire, but most people gave favorable reviews from what I saw.

I'm sorry it ended this way.

• Like 3

Holy Smokes!   :scared:   I noticed the 1st thread a while ago.  Ds took a semester long Exercise Physiology and Sports Medicine class in 10th grade that had a disaster of a teacher.  Greg Landry finally took over the class.  I always thought the school grew too quickly, going from small and high quality to giant empire, but most people gave favorable reviews from what I saw.

I'm sorry it ended this way.

Me, too.  My kids only had one teacher that was less than stellar but they still learned.  We have had some excellent experiences with Landry.  Just very sad.

There are several sites offering some sort of discount or some sort of help for Landry students (like reopening registration) but I do not have time to sort through them all and post here.  Please look at the second thread listed in the original post for additional information.  For some places, going through the primary website may not get you the discount.  

Also, below is the Facebook page where many teachers/parents/students are trying to reconnect...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1519089804771785/

I just skimmed through the threads.  That is so crazy!  I am very sorry to all of the families in a difficult spot.  I can't imagine.

Do we need to worry about other online providers at this point?  The only place we are currently using is PA Homeschoolers for online AP classes.  Is there any chance something similar could happen with that one?  I really hope not!

I just skimmed through the threads. That is so crazy! I am very sorry to all of the families in a difficult spot. I can't imagine.

Do we need to worry about other online providers at this point? The only place we are currently using is PA Homeschoolers for online AP classes. Is there any chance something similar could happen with that one? I really hope not!

I don't see why you would need to worry about other providers unless they are showing signs of a questionable financial status as well. There were warning signs for LA, including but not limited to the large quantities of deeply discounted "generic" credits sold.

I don't see why you would need to worry about other providers unless they are showing signs of a questionable financial status as well. There were warning signs for LA, including but not limited to the large quantities of deeply discounted "generic" credits sold.

I agree.  Yes, if you have concerns then check out the financial model your provider is using but I wouldn't suddenly think everyone providing on-line classes is making the same mistakes that Landry Academy did.  

I will say this, though, the IRS is apparently cracking down more stringently than they did before on people using contract labor instead of employees (which apparently was the biggest issue with Landry).

ETA:  Actually, I misspoke above.  Probably the bigger issue may have been offering too many generics at very reduced prices for future years of academics.  Unsustainable financial model. 

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 1

I was on the fence about posting/promoting LIVE Online Math as an alternative, but it looks like others are doing that.  Sorry if this comes across poorly.  I'm not exactly sure what proper etiquette is in a situation like this.  Copy/pasted from a post on the FB page regarding all of this....

In light of what's going on, LIVE Online Math (www.liveonlinemath.com) would like to provide three possible solutions/alternatives to former Landry families...

1.) FREE access to a LIVE Online Math Video Course (Algebra, Pre-Algebra, and/or Pre-Pre-Algebra) from now until the end of Summer 2017.

2.) We're open to the idea of creating a custom transition course(s) for the rest of this school year. Details of cost, schedule, class structure, etc. are fluid, but the link (below) has more info.

3.) Joining a Class or Video-Plus Course that is ongoing this school year. Seats remaining, schedule, pricing info., etc. can be found on the LIVE Online Math website.

To act on options 1 and 2 above, please check out more information using this link: http://liveonlinemath.com/forms/landry_transition_form.html

If you encounter any problems or have questions, please contact me at jbovey@liveonlinemath.com or 509-252-0888. Of course, feel free to cross post this to other groups/email lists in the Landry community.

Thanks and hoping everything ends up working out well for all concerned.

John Bovey
www.liveonlinemath.com

P.S. LIVE Online Math is in its 9th year of operation and has grown each year. Testimonials and other information can be found on the website.

FWIW, the idea of other online providers succumbing to this sort of pitfall was mentioned.  I can only speak for LIVE Online Math, but I can tell you that all LIVE Online Math teachers are employees and customers typically sign up on a per semester basis. In fact, I specifically prohibit people from signing up for next year's classes until I release the schedule and other course details (usually in early Apr.). Just wanted it to be known that not all online educational companies are run/structured in the same way.

• Like 2

I just skimmed through the threads.  That is so crazy!  I am very sorry to all of the families in a difficult spot.  I can't imagine.

Do we need to worry about other online providers at this point?  The only place we are currently using is PA Homeschoolers for online AP classes.  Is there any chance something similar could happen with that one?  I really hope not!

I think by not buying credits in advance for future years will protect you. So even if something happens, you're only out that portion of the year.

Hi all,

I am so sorry to hear about the sudden closing of Landry Academy. I can only imagine how distressing this must be for all involved --especially students. 

Many of the Aim Academy teachers are willing to work with any of you this semester--whether you are displaced or just looking to try an online class.

Our instructors are independent contractors. They set their own prices. 

Just send them an e-mail via our contact page:

https://debrabell.com/meet-our-class-instructors/

You can find a list of second semester classes which start January 9th here:

https://debrabell.com/product-category/second-semester/

Just so everyone knows how we differentiate ourselves: We are nonsectarian, even though most of our teachers are active in their faith community. And anyone who knows me, knows I'm a Christian but as my kids got older we used online options where they were able to sharpen their reasoning powers and broaden their perspective--which worked well for us since they all went to secular universities. We are aiming to create that kind of environment. Our primary goal is to help students anticipate equivalence exams (such as CLEP and AP) by the end of high school. So even our middle school classes are aligned with those tests. This seemed like a gap in the many options out there.

Contact me if you would like to know more --- I know the forums are not for promoting commercial endeavors, so I don't want to violate that policy. I'm praying for all of you who have been affected. Seems like the homeschool community is stepping up to the plate and helping these families in a remarkable way. We've always been a force to reckon with! So grateful to be counted among you.

Debra

• Like 6

Temporarily suspending our ban on advertising, ONLY for Landry Academy post-closing options, since so many families are now cut adrift.

This is an ad but I'll leave it.

SWB

P.S. Check out wtmacademy.com. AD!!!! :)

P.P.S. Hi, Debra!  Happy New Year!!!!

As a follow-up, a cross-post with the General board...

Can I address concerns that many families now have about online instruction?

We opened The Well-Trained Mind Academy three years ago, as the next logical development of the services we offer here at the Well-Trained Mind companies. The Academy  (www.wtmacademy.com) is financially stable and CPA-supervised. Our highly-qualified faculty is properly compensated, because teaching is a skilled and valuable profession. The Academy offers a generous refund policy; all students are able to withdraw after the first month with a full tuition refund. We also offer interest-free payment plans so that tuition is not due in a single lump.

The Well-Trained Mind Academy is now taking mid-year registrations for our history, literature, and writing classes. Students are welcome to register for full-year courses at mid-year if parents feel they would benefit from the second semester (no testing or pre-reqs). Our one-semester courses in study skills, advanced grammar, and Socratic discussion also have available seats. 

Our classes are live and interactive, conducted on Blackboard (great preparation for college!), with full grading and instructor reports. Our Dean, Dr. Julia Kaziewicz Collier (julia@welltrainedmind.com) is more than happy to answer any academic questions you might have.

SWB

Working on accreditation also. In the 2017-2018 year, we should have all high school classes necessary to offer a diploma, which is the first major step. We've already spoken to accreditation agencies and have a plan in place. (Accreditation takes time and, fwiw, costs way more than you might think.)