Menu

Potty training boy

ReadingMama1214

My almost 3yo son is starting to potty train. He'll be 3 in a few weeks and I've decided to take advantage of my grad school break to try and train him. He's dry for hours on end, through the night and naps several times a week, and shows the other physics signs. His main hinderance is actually peeing on the potty. He seems nervous about it. We stared this morning at 9am and here it's noon and he hasn't peed. He's in undies only. Won't go completely bottomless. Have him playing in warm water and he still hasn't gone! Any tips?

Bribes. He gets a piece of candy or a sticker or whatnot if he produces anything in the toilet. Later you up the ante for what it takes to earn the prize (like staying dry, then later self-initiating, then finally handling all the steps on his own) With my kids, at least, it was pretty easy to wean off the reward system once they had toileting down.

Bribes. He gets a piece of candy or a sticker or whatnot if he produces anything in the toilet. Later you up the ante for what it takes to earn the prize (like staying dry, then later self-initiating, then finally handling all the steps on his own) With my kids, at least, it was pretty easy to wean off the reward system once they had toileting down.

Oh I forgot to mention we are doing bribes. He gets a piece of candy (like an M&M or chocolate covered peanut) if he goes in the potty and he gets a new wooden train once he is potty trained. He's aware of this and talks a lot about the train he's gettingfor going potty.

3.5hours and no pee. Nap is soon and I imagine he'll go during that....

If he is worried about the potty you need to work on that. I can never tell with Americans whether by potty you mean a small plastic potty or an adult toilet. If the latter it can be a bit scary for many kids.

Sorry I should clarify. He's not scared of the potty. And I do mean one of the little kid potty chairs. He'll sit on it. I think it's the actual act of going pee on it that makes him nervous. Our toilets have kid seats on them, but he hasn't used those either.

Is he competitive? You both sit on your respective places (when you know his bladder is fairly full) and see who can pee first. Haha, I know that would be a mortifyingly terrible idea in many families but might work for some.

I've tried to do this in the past, but didn't make it competitive. I'll see. He's not normally competitive, but I can tell he really has to pee! We shall see. Thanks for the suggestion

• Like 1

In my experience three year old boys take great glee in peeing on things outdoors, if that is possible. I'm not sure where you live, but if it's possible (perhaps with Dad) to go out and do that a few times in the back yard or something, he will get over the fear. I assure you it doesn't destine you to a future of him peeing randomly in your house. It's just something fun for them to see "hey, I can control this, awesome!". 

I will also say that boys, in my experience, seem to be able to hold it a little longer than girls, so that may be why he's not needed to go yet. Just keep taking him. It will happen. 

Good luck! I'm one of the minority who had a much easier time potty training my son than my daughters. He was over and done before 2. They were no where near that easy. Sending you smooth sailing vibes. 

My friends son who is 3 years older then my son let ds watch him go potty. Next day my son was all "I am going potty like friend."

Potty training completed.

That's what we did with our daughter. He doesn't seem to care. We've had playdated and have let him see his friends pee. He just goes "I know!"

He was mad to put a diaper on for nap so hopefully that's a good sign! Went all morning with no pee

In my experience three year old boys take great glee in peeing on things outdoors, if that is possible. I'm not sure where you live, but if it's possible (perhaps with Dad) to go out and do that a few times in the back yard or something, he will get over the fear. I assure you it doesn't destine you to a future of him peeing randomly in your house. It's just something fun for them to see "hey, I can control this, awesome!".

I will also say that boys, in my experience, seem to be able to hold it a little longer than girls, so that may be why he's not needed to go yet. Just keep taking him. It will happen.

Good luck! I'm one of the minority who had a much easier time potty training my son than my daughters. He was over and done before 2. They were no where near that easy. Sending you smooth sailing vibes.

We live in an apartment building with no private yard and it's kinda chilly out. He also refuses to go bottomless. He needs to have something on his bottom. We tried at a friends house and he cried for undies and a diaper. He's an odd boy who doesn't like being naked. I'm hoping once he goes once that it will be easier.

Make it into a big party.  Pull out a bunch of salty snacks and a variety of non-carbonated drinks that he doesn't normally have access to. Gatorade, chocolate milk, whatever.  Dilute the drinks with water if you can get away with it.  Let him eat snacks and drink to his heart's content.  He'll be peeing in no time :D

This is coming from a mom who normally doesn't offer her kids anything besides water, white milk and occasionally 100% juice.  "Desperate times call for desperate measures"

Dh always handles the initial potty training.  He does an intensive weekend one-on-one-all-potty-all-the-time-party with the child (the rest of us go to a hotel, no joke!).  All of the child's normal dietary restrictions go out the window for a couple of days.

Make it into a big party. Pull out a bunch of salty snacks and a variety of non-carbonated drinks that he doesn't normally have access to. Gatorade, chocolate milk, whatever. Dilute the drinks with water if you can get away with it. Let him eat snacks and drink to his heart's content. He'll be peeing in no time :D

This is coming from a mom who normally doesn't offer her kids anything besides water, white milk and occasionally 100% juice. "Desperate times call for desperate measures"

Dh always handles the initial potty training. He does an intensive weekend one-on-one-all-potty-all-the-time-party with the child (the rest of us go to a hotel, no joke!). All of the child's normal dietary restrictions go out the window for a couple of days.

Yes we normally only do water and milk too. I just offered to buy him juice so I probably will let him have diluted juice tomorrow.

That's intense! Dh has helped but he's working over our break. A hotel sounds lovely