Menu

Need grammar help for 12yo

This fall, we focused more heavily on writing & reading, opting to do grammar just as a one-semester course this year.  But now we're nearly ready to start and I still haven't chosen anything!  

We used Growing with Grammar in upper elementary years.  She liked it well enough, it got done but I didn't feel like she retained much nor carried it over to writing.  I need something that is very get-it-done w/o a lot of parental teaching needed.  She likes workbooks.  

(FWIW, for writing, she's primarily using Writing & Rhetoric with an occasional Writing Strands project thrown in.  Both of them are something she enjoys though the amount of reading in W&R can really bog her down.)

I'm not opposed to sticking with GwG for now.  I've looked at several middle-school grammar programs and I'm having a hard time really finding something I love.  

• Like 1

What about Fix-It Grammar?  15 minutes a day, 4 days a week.  Once the notebook is set up there is essentially zero prep.  Parent involvement can be minimal.  Concepts are introduced gently but ramp up.  If you thought the first book needed to be moved through more quickly you could do two lessons a day, 5 days a week and complete two books in one year only committing maybe 25 minutes a day to grammar.  http://iew.com/fix

100% money back guarantee if you don't like it.  You can just buy the TM.  That will give you access to the pdf of the student notebook and you can print the pages out as many times as you need (so you could replace a damaged page or give her a chance to redo something or use the material with another child with little additional cost).

• Like 1

What about Fix-It Grammar?  15 minutes a day, 4 days a week.  Once the notebook is set up there is essentially zero prep.  Parent involvement can be minimal.  Concepts are introduced gently but ramp up.  If you thought the first book needed to be moved through more quickly you could do two lessons a day, 5 days a week and complete two books in one year only committing maybe 25 minutes a day to grammar.  http://iew.com/fix

This is one I keep coming back to.  Have you looked at the placement tests?  I'm wondering if they are pretty accurate.  

DD13 loved Get Smart by Grammar Revolution.  It was done independently and in one semester.  It was worth every penny.

That looks interesting, too.  Did you continue on to the Stay Smart program?

• Like 1

I totally would have!  But...

DD is going to do Lukeion's Barbarian Diagrammarian.  It is an intense class, but dd has suddenly become enamored with languages and linguistics and my hope is that this class will really solidify everything for her.  

DD had no grammar before Grammar Revolution.

Best wishes!

Edited by lisabees
  • Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions!  

I looked at Analytical Grammar and, as much as I like it, I don't think it would be a good fit for her.  It may be for my second, so I'm going to save the idea for him.  

We looked over the suggestions and she choose Fix-It.  She likes the very get-it-done nature of it.  

• Like 2