Menu

Dr. Hive (Ear issues)

1GirlTwinBoys

So last night I was up until 5am because I started having weird feeling in my ears and head.  Sounds started becoming amplified and my head felt like it was under water (that's what everything sounded like in my head).  I took Benadryl, did hot steam with a towel over my head, Motrin (didn't experience any pain though) and plugged in my Vick's Waterless Vapor Machine.  All of this started around 9pm and finally broke around 4:30.  I was literally having full blown panic attack from it.  Such a weird feeling I can't even explain it.  This happened to me once 15 years ago and I remember the Dr. called me in something but not sure what.

I'm better today and never had any pain.  Should I go to the Little Clinic?  My husband thinks I should just do some hydrogen peroxide and drain my ears.  I did have the flu 3 weeks ago and have had sinus stuff going on since.

I just hate to be put on an antibiotic if not necessary and I feel like they will just automatically want to do that.

Thoughts??

It could just be pressure in your ear drums from the left over cold ramifications. It's like a negative pressure that sucks in your ear drums according to my ENT. It's annoying but not dangerous.

I had that for over a year due to allergies. Prior to putting in tubes my ENT prescribed Afrin for 5 days, Nasacort, and Claritin or Zyrtec. None of it worked for me but mine was a different cause. You may try the over the counter Sudafed to help dry out the remaining drainage. Or NyQuil at night as it seems pretty good at drying up also and will help you sleep. I don't think peroxide will do anything as the problem is inside your eardrum due to drainage.

Hope it passes quickly. I know how bad it sucks.

Is there any discharge from your ears? My son experienced something similar in that his ear hurt and was up almost all night in pain. In the morning his ear felt so much better. Then we noticed discharge and realized his eardrum was ruptured from the pressure. He felt relief because the pressure was gone, he needed antibiotics both oral and ear drops.