Menu

A minor, but super vital question about jeans

Alicia64

Okay, it's super vital to me.

I just put on clean jeans that I haven't worn since last year. They're probably five or six years old. Not only are they short -- with boots they're fine, or I'd look a little flood-ish, but they're tight around the waist.

I don't have a scale or I'd weigh myself.

My question: jeans shrink, right?

I tend to carry weight in my tummy area so this really bugs me. I lost a ton of weight about ten years ago and I'm thinking it might be time for a tune up aka Weight Watchers.

Alley

I wear jeans almost every day and so does my husband and kids. My DS11's size 10 slim jeans is tighter in cold weather but he is skinny so it just looks more snug. My DS12's jeans is thicker material and size 16 boy to size 28x28 adults and those don't seem to shrink. My kids old toughskin (Sears) jeans shrunk in length but insignificantly.

My jeans are tighter in the waist in the morning after breakfast but it is slightly loose after. I get a bloated tummy as do my DS11 after eating. The difference is as bad as 2" around the waist due to tummy bloat. My jeans are preshrunk and I have jeans that are very old Wranglers and Levi's.

If you can fit into a clean pair of jeans that you wore 5-6 years ago...I'd say you were doing pretty good. :thumbup1:  There are so many factors that could influence how snug they fit: water weight/bloating due to that time of month or what you ate recently, how cold it was, shrinking, etc. And as a PP mentioned, jeans will stretch as you wear them.

Unless all your clothes are suddenly fitting snug, particularly around the waist since you mentioned that was where you held weight, I would seriously not worry about one pair of jeans.  :)

• Like 1

If you can fit into a clean pair of jeans that you wore 5-6 years ago...I'd say you were doing pretty good. :thumbup1:  There are so many factors that could influence how snug they fit: water weight/bloating due to that time of month or what you ate recently, how cold it was, shrinking, etc. And as a PP mentioned, jeans will stretch as you wear them.

Unless all your clothes are suddenly fitting snug, particularly around the waist since you mentioned that was where you held weight, I would seriously not worry about one pair of jeans.  :)

Thanks, but the only other clothes I wear are sweatpants or yoga pants. So wearing jeans is my only "tell" for how I'm doing.

Think I have to face facts: my eating needs to be better than it is.

Thanks for all the good info.

Alley

• Like 1

Whenever I put on weight, I always notice it first in my waist and thighs when I wear jeans.  :D  I shift 5 pounds up and down a lot and wear jeans all the time, but it still surprises me when suddenly one day I notice it (in one direction or the other).  I do keep jeans of various sizes!