Menu

National Merit and College Application and graduating early

I'd list the score on his transcript as I also list ACT and AP scores. I'm not sure if it'll matter to the college or not, but at least you'd be giving them that piece of information.

I don't think you can do anything about National Merit as he's graduating early.

I guess I was wondering if there is a word like "commended" that I can use this early in the game.  But I guess we have to wait a while for that.  I was just hoping.

I wasn't planning on putting the score - or the selection index - as it's similar to his SAT score.

Even though he is graduating early, he will still be included in the process.  We checked that out before we signed him up.

Thanks so much!

I'm curious as to how that works. Semifinalists won't be announced until next September; and finalists not until the following February. Will your ds simply be awarded the honor as a college student? Can he still be awarded a scholarship after he is already in college? I always assumed one used a 10th grade PSAT score in place of the 11th grade if graduating early.

• Like 1

I'm curious as to how that works. Semifinalists won't be announced until next September; and finalists not until the following February. Will your ds simply be awarded the honor as a college student? Can he still be awarded a scholarship after he is already in college? I always assumed one used a 10th grade PSAT score in place of the 11th grade if graduating early.

From the NMSC page:

Students who plan to leave high school a year (or more) early to enroll in college full time usually can participate in the National Merit Scholarship Program if they take the PSAT/NMSQT before they enroll in college. Such students must take the PSAT/NMSQT in either the next-to-last year or the last year they are enrolled in high school.

- Those who take the PSAT/NMSQT in the next-to-last year of high school will be entering the competition for awards to be offered as they are finishing their final high school year.

- Those who take the PSAT/NMSQT in their last year of high school will be entering the competition for awards to be offered as they are completing their first year of college.

• Like 4

I wouldn't worry too much about the PSAT score, assuming his SAT or ACT score is similarly high. Some colleges like to list numbers for National Merit Finalists as part of the stats of their incoming freshman class. But he won't have that award yet, so his score is unlikely to interest them too much. Most schools will only be interested in SAT/ACT/subject test scores.

Edited by Gr8lander
  • Like 1

DS is graduating early (this is his junior year).  His PSAT selection index is 222.  

Is there anything he can put on his college applications to reflect this?  Deadlines are next week.  

Thanks!

While my current senior is not graduating early, he did submit documentation prior to any official NM notification.  I included a blurb about his probable NM recognition  in the section of our school profile where I provide my kids' test scores contrasted with those of our public school cohorts. 

Good luck with the applications!

• Like 4