Menu

The defintion of Boredom

fairfarmhand

I used to have a "poster" that I made (just 8x11 paper, written in colorful Sharpie) up on my fridge - of things to do when they were bored. It cut down on the complaining and expecting to be entertained because I just referred them to the fridge when they tried.

We all tend to get stuck in ruts and habits and at loose ends when our routine changes, so I found that having a ready-made list of idea options for them helped them to remember that they had a house full of hobbies and entertainment. I was always happy to assign extra math or chores if they couldn't find anything to do. :)

Some ideas were:

-build with legos

-play an instrument

-paint/draw a picture

-organize a drawer (they never chose this! ;) )

-playact a scene and film it (to show Dad later)

-build a fort

-make friendship bracelets or bookmarks

-board games/card games

-solitaire (9 is a good age to start learning Around The Clock, if he hasn't already - my 10 year old enjoys it)

-Snap Circuits

-read

-give Mom a shoulder and neck massage

-brush Mom's hair

It had other, outdoor play ideas too, but a little helping hand was enough to spark their imaginations and keep them busy and entertaining themselves apart from screens.

• Like 2

I used to have a "poster" that I made (just 8x11 paper, written in colorful Sharpie) up on my fridge - of things to do when they were bored. It cut down on the complaining and expecting to be entertained because I just referred them to the fridge when they tried.

We all tend to get stuck in ruts and habits and at loose ends when our routine changes, so I found that having a ready-made list of idea options for them helped them to remember that they had a house full of hobbies and entertainment. I was always happy to assign extra math or chores if they couldn't find anything to do. :)

Some ideas were:

-build with legos

-play an instrument

-paint/draw a picture

-organize a drawer (they never chose this! ;) )

-playact a scene and film it (to show Dad later)

-build a fort

-make friendship bracelets or bookmarks

-board games/card games

-solitaire (9 is a good age to start learning Around The Clock, if he hasn't already - my 10 year old enjoys it)

-Snap Circuits

-read

-give Mom a shoulder and neck massage

-brush Mom's hair

It had other, outdoor play ideas too, but a little helping hand was enough to spark their imaginations and keep them busy and entertaining themselves apart from screens.

Liking the massage suggestion!

Sent from my U9200 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

:lol:

Right now I have an 8yo bored in my house because the only station we watch during the day is PBS (no scary content for the 3yo) and we don't play video games during the week/with friends.  So..........

It's amazing what "bored" children do!  They play with Legos, build Pokemon, spend hours with gingerbread playdough, put together a puzzle, play with a balance maze, figure out Bakugan, play Monopoly, Yahtzee, and chess, socialize over a full lunch and pick up a new book.

Go figure.  I'm not exactly sorry he's "bored".

• Like 2