Menu

Can I freeze this ham?

Innisfree

Someone gave us a spiral-sliced, honey-cured ham which we can't use for a good while.

The box says "Keep refrigerated 28- 34 degrees F." I think our freezer is significantly colder, but it's taking up too much room in the fridge.

Will it harm the texture or flavor or anything to deep-freeze it for a month or two?

I'm not used to this sort of ham, so will appreciate any experience the Hive can offer.

Yes, you can freeze ham. Some say that after 30 days, the texture is not as good. I'm not picky about following rules like that myself, but you might want to keep it in mind.

If it is large, and you don't think you will use it all at once, you can cut in in meal-sized portions before freezing, so that you only have to thaw what you will use on a particular day.

• Like 3

Ham is just fine frozen, not quite as good as freshly purchased, but my family doesn't mind.  I recently bought a large one and froze it in about 10 packages:  chunks for mac and cheese, slices for sandwiches and main dishes, and the ham bone for soup.  I love being able to pull out a package from the freezer.  It's the closest thing we get to fast food in our house.  :)

• Like 2