Menu

Does this child need AAR level 4?

kesmom

My 8 year old is currently in AAR level 3. He struggled through level 1 and the first part of level 2 - then almost overnight his reading took off. (and he LOVES reading now, which thrills us)

He is flying through the lessons in level 3 and will be done by March at the very latest. We have skipped about half of the hands-on activities because he thinks they are babyish. He has also grown pretty tired of using the tiles and prefers to stick with the cards, fluency sheets and the stories.

I am wondering if level 4 is worth the investment for him. I have OPGTR from my oldest and thought we might just transition to that when he is finished with level 3. (I haven't pulled the book out yet to see where he would be, but he wouldn't have much left there either.) It would also reduce prep work for me, which would be a plus.

Any thoughts? TIA

We are using OPGTR with my 5 yo and are a little over half way through. We switched from aar pre-level. I think switching from aar to OPGTR would be exactly what you're looking for. It is just the phonics concept and a story to reinforce fluency. Sounds like that's all he has interest in. For my 5yo, we add in the fun practice, but if you're looking for a straightforward no frills program, OPGTR would be the perfect choice.

• Like 1

My son did the same thing. He struggled mightily through 1 and halfway through 2, then he flew through the lessons. I debated about 4, but I do think it was worthwhile. Even though he was reading Farmer Boy without issue, he was still learning complicated words in AAR 4 that he needed help with. We put 4 on the back burner, but made a goal to read one AAR story a week until we finished. This generally meant a single lesson (sometimes two) plus a story. It took very little time each week. I can't speak to OPGTR - it might work just fine for your situation, but even thought I waffled on 4, I am glad that we did it.

• Like 1

Maybe, maybe not. L4 takes kids up to high school level phonics and word attack skills (not that they know the meaning of all higher level words). It continues working with multisyllable words, words with multiple suffixes, introduces more literary terms, explores varying dialects and regional language, and explores words containing influences from Greek, French, Spanish, and Italian. I'd take a look through the AAR 4 samples and see what you think--see if the work would be beneficial for him etc... 

• Like 1

I do not know much about AAR4 and how far it gets but I would think he would be basically past OPTR. I thought it went to the 3rd or 4th grade level. Maybe you could something like Webster's if you do not want to spend as much. I was wondering about level 4 too and if it would be redundant for my ds who decodes at a high level now but not high school level.

• Like 1