Menu

How recent do SAT and SAT subjects scores have to be?

For SAT, I noticed that the colleges DS was interested in (a few selective schools) were accepting old and new SAT scores for this application season (Fall 2017 admission). They mentioned wanting new scores from Fall 2018 admission onwards.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by quark
  • Like 1

Colleges have accepted my kids' Subject Test scores taken when they were in 8th and 9th grade.  The only school I found where older test scores may be an issue is with Carnegie Mellon.  I am not sure if the policy has changed, but they used to require Subject Test scores from 11th or 12th grade, but even then, at least one member of the hive had kids with older SAT II's and it wasn't an issue. (I think it was Kathy in Richmond's kids, but not 100% sure)

Since the new SAT was released last March, I don't know how long the old version of the SAT will be accepted by colleges.

• Like 2

Colleges have accepted my kids' Subject Test scores taken when they were in 8th and 9th grade.  The only school I found where older test scores may be an issue is with Carnegie Mellon.  I am not sure if the policy has changed, but they used to require Subject Test scores from 11th or 12th grade, but even then, at least one member of the hive had kids with older SAT II's and it wasn't an issue. (I think it was Kathy in Richmond's kids, but not 100% sure)

Since the new SAT was released last March, I don't know how long the old version of the SAT will be accepted by colleges.

Yep, my son was accepted to Carnegie Mellon's School of Computer Science with Subject Math and Physics scores taken before 11th grade. They had that same rule back when he applied, but we took a chance and had him send in an application anyway. It would have been silly to retake exams that he'd already scored well on.

I agree that the new SAT will probably make a difference. My son was caught in the last major SAT change & had to retake the "new SAT" during his senior year for at least one of his colleges. He would have been happy sending in previous "old SAT" scores, but they definitely asked for the new version.

• Like 3