Menu

Yeast for bread machine

Night Elf

I've been using active dry yeast but my bread isn't rising but halfway. I bought a new package in case I had a dud, but I also bought fast rise yeast which said it was ideal for bread maches. My recipe has an option for quick rise yeast. Is quick rise the same thing as fast rise? Or should I just do the active dry again?

Fast, or quick, rise yeast can be dumped directly into the bread mixture while it is dry. Active yeast has to be hydrated and dissolved into water first. So I think you need to use the fast/quick rise option on your bread machine.

Oh wait. Are you using a machine? Whichever, just know that you have to treat the yeast a little differently.

The recipe in my bread machine book has me just put the yeast in with all the rest of the ingredients at the same time. I know I've had normal loafs happen but lately they're not rising. Are you saying I should mix the active dry yeast with the water before putting it into the machine? For how long? It says water at 80 degrees but I just put warm water. It's always worked before!

The recipe in my bread machine book has me just put the yeast in with all the rest of the ingredients at the same time. I know I've had normal loafs happen but lately they're not rising. Are you saying I should mix the active dry yeast with the water before putting it into the machine? For how long? It says water at 80 degrees but I just put warm water. It's always worked before!

I would. I wouldn't add any more water to the recipe, but just use the water it already calls for. And yes, the temperature matters. I admit, though, that I usually use the "bread machine" yeast, which I believe is rapid/quick rise. I've never tried regular active yeast in my bread maker.

Ok, the recipe uses either 1.5 tsp of active dry yeast OR 1 tsp of quick rise yeast. I have a package that says fast rise yeast. Can I use 1 tsp of fast rise in place of the quick rise?

Yes, I'm putting the ingredients in exactly as the recipe orders them. The water, sugar, salt and oil go in first, flour next, and yeast on the top. Then I just turn on the machine and leave it until it's baked which is about 2 hours and 45 minutes.

• Like 1

I would check it at the midpoint of the kneading to make sure it's not too dry or too wet, and then check again at the end of the rise to be sure it's ready to be baked.  The issue might be a dough that's not right or the machine might not be proofing it enough before baking.  Or even over proofing and it falls before baking. 

Okay, thanks. I did use the fast rise so I'll see how it turns out. It's my only bread for dinner so if it fails we'll have nothing. I started to buy rolls but then what's the point of baking the bread? I should have started the loaf early this morning so I would have had time to do a second loaf if the first one didn't turn out, but oh well.

• Like 1

I have found that if everything is room temperature, sifted 3 times and measured exactly my bread machine does better even warming egg in a bowl of hot water. Now I have had to increase my yeast here in south Texas where I never did in Alaska, humid vs. dry. 

I use Saf Instant Yeast, 1 Pound Pouch and keep it in the fridge, with plain flour.  

Bread was rising and falling in the middle when to much flour was used. Not rising enough when sifted and measured very carefully. It was a work in progress.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/learn/bread-machine-basics.html  I don't use the flour, but the tips sure helped a ton.

Edited by StartingOver