Menu

Resume Questions

Just Kate

DH is working on updating his resume due to adding a huge certification and because he has a few companies that have requested to see it. I'm not good at resumes, but I am attempting to help him.

He has been in his current industry for abut 6 years, but he has accomplished quite a bit in that time. Prior to this industry, he worked at a bank (branch manager) and a few different sales jobs. I would like his resume to focus on his current field and not take up so much time on the previous stuff. Not sure exactly how to do that though.

Anyone who is great at resumes open to helping? :)

• Like 1

If you do it chronilogically present going back, it should do that.

Put all of the bullet points on stuff he's accomplished in his current field under the job titles.

* Lead a $3MM project to do xyz

* Achieved 57% in improved whatever

* Initially managed three direct reports, increased to five, after 18 months

etc.

For the other stuff, just list dates...so    6/1990-6/1995    Bank Manager, Bank of America    Fancy City, NY

YOu can go to LinkedIn and look at jobs he'd like to have, and see how people who have that job format things. :)  Look at a few to get an idea.

Edited by umsami
  • Like 1

Congrats on the new Certification. Be sure to add that. It might help with one or more of the companies who see his resume, or, his listings on Monster and CareerBuilder.  If he wants to stay in the industry he is in now, I would put one or more "Job titles" at the top.  I would amplify the description of his current job, to show what he did there. I would put minimal information about what he did in the Bank, etc., unless it is applicable to the type of job he would like to get now. I always kept my Resume as short as is possible.  One or two pages, unless one has a Ph.D. and is applying for an Executive position or a Teaching position. If a potential employer wants more information, they can request it and he can provide it.  However, flip side to that, on Monster and on CareerBuilder, I would put everything possible. I would probably spend one day, on each of those sites, filling in my information.  I always tried to minimize the number of times my references were contacted. I only gave them out if a Hiring Manager or Hiring Supervisor interviewed me and requested them and if I was interested. One reason to keep the Resume as short as is possible is that in the first screening, they will only look at it for approximately 2 minutes.  A Hiring Manager or Hiring Supervisor should not look at more than 10 resumes. More and than  that and they will  be totally confused and everyone will blur together.  Put every applicable "buzz word" on the resume and on Monster and CareerBuilder.   GL to your DH and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Edited by Lanny

If he has been active and accomplished in his current field for six years, that content should naturally fill the majority of the document. The less relevant experience will then be minimized.

If you want, you can title the section with earlier work entries "Early Career" or "Additional Work Experience" to indicate the less relevant nature of those jobs. But, really, the focus ahould be on the skills and results relevant to the job target.

Congrats on the certification!