Menu

The Teachers Lounge 11-23-2016

scrapbookbuzz

The Lounge is now OPEN! Welcome!

Note: the Teachers Lounge will be closed November 24-November 28.

Spend time with family and/or friends and have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

If you are in need of someplace to go for food or fellowship, please PM me and I will 

help you find that place!

It's Wednesday! Whatcha got going on today? Here: besides trekking kids to dress rehearsal, going food shopping!

A dear young woman from our church reached out to me last night to make sure we were set for a good Thanksgiving.

I told her dh had qualified for some unemployment and that should cover it. She told me we should save that and she would

take me out shopping for the food we need! So grocery shopping we go!  :driving: 

What's the most unique dish on your Thanksgiving menu this year? Here: we're not even touching turkey. We're having corned beef

paninins (Reuben style). Well, dh and the 2 dc are having corned beef. I'm just having regular beef.

Anyone shopping on Black Friday? Here: pretty sure dh and dc will be sleeping. Me, I'll be tagging along with my sister to keep her company. I don't really want/need anything, anyway. Being on a tight budget kind of determines that. :closedeyes: The ONE thing I might get IF I see a good deal is the Extension to Settlers of Catan.

Talk to me! :bigear:

I'm getting ready to head out my car inspection!  After that: violin lesson, libraries, registration, last minute shopping for tomorrow's meal, and then home to tidy house and do laundry. I have an outing tonight so we'll be eating leftovers from the week instead of cooking. :)

Most unique dish.......taquitos.  :lol:  As it is only the three of us, we have decided to forego a traditional dinner and do a Gilmore night: movie marathon with a conglomeration of junk food.  In addition to the taquitos we will be having cherry cheesecake, mini donuts, pizza bites, General's chicken, chips, eggnog, onion rings, and bruschetta.

I have not decided whether I'm shopping or not.  Dh wants to get a specific gift for the teen and it will be on sale, but the quantities at that price are limited.  I may wait.

Scrap - that is awesome about the woman from your church blessing you that way! I've been there too and it's tough.

Today I've got errands to run - CVS shopping {gotta pick up pre-BF deals}, do my shopkicks so I get a bit of GC back to use on BF stuff at Walmart, and more laundry / dishes. 

Doing a regular thanksgiving-ish meal here - turkey, mashed potatoes, green beans and a paleo friendly pumpkin pie. Not a big deal for us as we have that for a meal every few weeks {I stock up on turkeys when they are cheap}

Black Friday - well Thanksgiving morning I'll be heading to CVS for their deals. And depending on if I can score the cheap DVD's at Walmart online or not, I might be braving the 6pm walmart opening. Really hoping I can get them online though as I don't want to have to deal with the crowds. 

• Like 1

For the first time in 3 years I have had a painless experience at the DMV.  :D  I got my inspection - done in 10 minutes.  Took that paper right over to the DMV, where it was abnormally empty, and was processed in less than another 10 minutes.  We had a nice long excursion at the library because of it and added three movies to our day tomorrow: The Maltese Falcon, Blue Hawaii, and Goldfinger.

• Like 1

Painless DMV experience? Didn't know those were possible!  :coolgleamA: 

Shopping was actually a bit fun. My total bill came to just over $83 and my friend didn't bat an eyelash.

In fact she kept asking what else I needed. And when I said I was good, she'd say, "You're sure?" I really couldn't think 

of anything else but I really appreciate her generosity!

Now, I get to breathe a bit before taking kids to dress rehearsal, then coming back home to alternate between my wood burning 

project and cleaning off the kitchen counter!

We went to Madurodam (Dutch buildings on a 1:25 scale):

https://madurodam.nl/en/discover-the-park/typical-dutch-must-sees/

I think we'll be having leftover Chinese (mostly Indonesian - Chinese restaurants in NL usually serve some mixture of Chinese and Indonesian food) tomorrow, so Tjap Tjoy with Chicken, Daging Roedjak, Babi Pangang, and Cha Sieuw.

Probably not doing (online) Black Friday shopping, as stuff would get delivered before we'll get home, and there's a limit to the amount of mail and packages I'd want my neighbor to handle (plus, this trip wasn't cheap).

As a side note, yesterday I took the kids on the train for the first time (double decker train):

http://www.ns.nl/over-ns/treinen-van-ns

We went to the Maritime Museum and went aboard the VOC Amsterdam there:

https://www.hetscheepvaartmuseum.nl/discover/east-indiaman-amsterdam

In some of the other exhibits we learned about the Golden Age, whales, etc.

We also stopped for a couple of hours in the science museum where we among other things did an experiment to see if water conducts electricity (spoiler alert - it doesn't, but if you add salt, it does):

https://www.nemosciencemuseum.nl/en/activities-at-nemo/exhibitions/

• Like 1

In other news, on my way back from dropping the kids off today, I was rear ended! Oi.

Thankfully, there were only two of us involved: me and the other driver, and we were both able to walk

out of our vehicles, so there's that. My car is still driveable, hers not so much. As we were waiting for the police,

a man came up to me and gave me his name and phone number and let me know he saw the whole thing. So there's

a witness. What happened was I was heading west, approaching an intersection and saw a cop car, lights flashing, heading north

attempting to get through the intersection. So I stopped. The driver behind me didn't.  :glare: I just am so thankful that it wasn't much 

more serious, as it could have been!

Oh No scrap! I hope things improve!

Just in time for the holiday, the starting paleo issues reared their ugly head. I am not worried because it happened last time too. Hoping I won't be too nauseous to fix the turkey tomorrow. At least this time around I'm not dealing with serious gallbladder issues from increased fat / protein. 

• Like 1