Menu

I have a math question...

So it says to graph the function:

f(x)=(-3x-4)/(x+3)

So you figure out the vertical asymptote and the horizontal asymptote.  I understand that. 

Then the y-intercept is figured out by setting x to zero.  I get that.

The part I'm confused by is figuring the x-intercept.  It says the x-intercept is found by setting y equal to 0.  (OK, no problem.)  But then it says: "Since the rational function is in simplest form, this is equivalent to setting the numerator equal to 0."  Ok what?  I don't understand this.  Might be having a brain fart here, but no why are we only setting the numerator equal to 0 to find the x-intercept?

Your function can be written as a fraction. In the numerator you have -3x-4. In the denominator you have x+3.

A fraction is zero if the numerator is zero (provided that the denominator is not also zero at this position).

So, your function is zero if -3x-4 is zero.

That gives you -3x=4, x=-4/3. If you put this into the denominator, you see that the denominator is not zero, so there's your x intercept.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

You could also set the whole thing equal to zero, but setting the numerator equal to zero is a (very small) shortcut.  Here's why:

0 = (-3x-4)/(x+3)   Multiply both sides by (x+3)

0 = (-3x-4)   Now the numerator is set equal to zero

Be sure to check the solution to make sure that it doesn't make the denominator zero (it's not an issue with this problem).

The other way to think of it is that if the numerator of a fraction is zero, then the whole thing is zero.

• Like 1

You could also set the whole thing equal to zero, but setting the numerator equal to zero is a (very small) shortcut.  Here's why:

0 = (-3x-4)/(x+3)   Multiply both sides by (x+3)

0 = (-3x-4)   Now the numerator is set equal to zero

Be sure to check the solution to make sure that it doesn't make the denominator zero (it's not an issue with this problem).

The other way to think of it is that if the numerator of a fraction is zero, then the whole thing is zero.

Ah!  See I did do this, but for some dumb reason instead of multiplying by zero, I multiplied by 1.  I got the right answer a couple of times because it just so happened to work out that way. 

I find it most helpful to do it this way.