Menu

A Child's First Book of American History

NewIma

It is a very well written book with engaging stories rather than a dry textbook account. The vocabulary and writing style are excellent. Some of the themes involve courage, heroism, and hard work.

My biggest complaint is that there is hardly a woman in the book. I will probably us it as a read aloud the next time we get to American History and weave in books from the Outrageous Women series to fill in the gender gap.

It might be a little young for an 11 yr old. Depends on the kid, I guess, but that's my feeling.

There is mention of God, but as part of the story (Columbus writing in his accounts that he felt the natives would make good Christians, or Marquette being a Jesuit). There aren't any Bible verses that I saw. The author doesn't white-wash things & often mentions the negatives to the actions described (as well as positives where they are). There might be some things you will want to add your perspective on, but I don't think there is anything offensive to liberal-leaning people.

It isn't exhaustive, but would work as a spine - especially as a read-aloud. It only goes to World War 2 and only covers certain events/people.

I agree with the above except I did find that there was a realism to the stories like how the author pointed out the greed and cruelty of the early Spaniards. Or how the colonists ended up with the good land and kept relegating the natives to inferior land or just pushing them further west. It isn't all rah-rah, but I do think the tone tries to be positive.

• Like 1