Menu

Remember the dean that I had so many problems with?

G5052

She was in charge of the adjuncts at the local community college and was quite a wreck.

She'd not renew adjuncts for the smallest of reasons including poor reviews on ratemyprofessor.com. 

She consistently took the side of the student when there was a grading grievance.

She lied to me over and over about personnel matters to the point that I had to go to the head of HR in order to get it resolved. Then she roasted me via email and said she'd not renew me if I ever did that again.

In my last semester, she assigned me to a very hands-on class in two locations, so the poor students in the second location had trouble watching me because the camera didn't pan. I also couldn't check their work of course unless they stood before the camera and described what they had done while the main class waited. When I questioned this during the summer, her response was that I could quit. Later when it became apparent that it wasn't going to work out at all, I asked if I could combine the sections because enough students had stopped coming that I had the seats. She said I'd be fired if I did that. I chose to defy her and combined the classes. As far as I know, she never found out, and I didn't return the next semester. I was done.

I didn't report it because I had just added a second college when the double section incident occurred, and I thought that I might need an academic reference from her at some point until I established myself.

Then I ran into someone who was in the administration but has since moved on. And she told me that they did a major investigation into why so many adjuncts weren't returning and found out that the dean was at fault. So the dean was encouraged to retire or be fired for poor performance. She chose to retire. So indeed there is justice! 

This school had really gutted my program though, so I have no plans to go back. Hopefully some of the long-term adjuncts that left will return.

Edited by G5052
  • Like 23

Thanks for the update.  I hope things will improve now that the dean is gone.

The president of our local CC just resigned after 6 years.  The previous president had been there for many, many years and the school expanded and improved during his reign.  I haven't been as impressed with the one who is resigning.  I'm hoping the next one with be an improvement.

I'm glad you are happier at your new school.