Menu

Has anyone used Direct Instruction Mathematics and/or Connecting Math Concepts?

luckymom

Direct Instruction Mathematics (Silbert, Carnine & Stein) and Connecting Math Concepts (Engelmann, Carnine, Kelly) were recommended to me today for my struggling DS11.  I am daunted just thinking of starting with yet another math program.  :)

Does anyone here have any experience with either of these?  Please share if you do.

I am not entirely sure.  I had him tested because I wondered about his learning.  The results are superior IQ with below average processing.  So, he is very capable and hampered at the same time. It takes him a really, really long time to cement concepts and feel as if he can use them.  One of the areas where this is most apparent is in math where we have worked at his pace, used tutors and aids, tried several programs, etc.  He seems to understand and works hard but then it becomes vague or confusing to him again.  There are no LDs except for the processing. He is hard working and willing.  

I used Connecting Math Concepts when I was a public school special Ed teacher. I love, love, love the program and found it worked really well for my students with moderate intellectual disabilities. That being said, it would not be my first choice for someone without ID.

What curriculum have you been using?

I have used a number of direct instruction programmes incluing those ones.  I would suggest that a student with superior intellectual ability will find them enormously boring with the high levels of repetition and incremental progression which does not allow for leaps of understanding common among those children.  FOr children who require such instruction, though, DI is research proven to be highly effective.

It is all scripted for you, so you don't have to think as you present it - some people like that, others don't. 

It is highly repetitive, targetted and small step progression - some people like that and some don't.

As a general rule it's designed for group instruction and choral response, so you may find you need to modify some of that for one to one use. 

I am not entirely sure.  I had him tested because I wondered about his learning.  The results are superior IQ with below average processing.  So, he is very capable and hampered at the same time. It takes him a really, really long time to cement concepts and feel as if he can use them.  One of the areas where this is most apparent is in math where we have worked at his pace, used tutors and aids, tried several programs, etc.  He seems to understand and works hard but then it becomes vague or confusing to him again.  There are no LDs except for the processing. He is hard working and willing.  

Is it possible he's ADHD? Non-hyper ADHD can be hard to spot. I have an Inattentive ADHD, and he does not bounce off the walls or any of the other stereotypes. But high intelligence + slow processing could be 2e with ADHD.

With my kid a highly incremental program would not fly. He'd just get confused. Generally speaking, we do a lot of conceptual math, then I allow time for it to percolate, then he scribbles out seemingly-random equations in his graph paper math notebook, then at some point I try to follow up and make sure he's solid on it. We've never done a math book straight through. Never. It drives me crazy. But somehow the crazy-method is working, so....

2e is a can of worms to work out, but there's some helpful resources. And even if you don't get a diagnosis of ADHD or something else, there's a slew of recommended articles and books on 2e which may still be useful to you.

• Like 1

I haven't used those.  Maybe he would benefit from continuous review?  Sounds like my 11 year old in a way.  I've never had him tested, but he can on the one hand grasp a pretty difficult topic, but then act like he never saw it a few days later.  No clue if that's normal or what, but I don't get it.  So I just add in a few review problems each day.  Not tons and tons, but even having 1 of 2-3 types of problems from prior concepts I think helps.  I just write my own problems.

Another one that has been helpful is Prodigy math.  It's game like so that keeps his interest.  Well, in fact, games have been helpful in general. 

Just a suggestion.  Since I'm not familiar with processing difficulties, I could be completely off the mark here.