Menu

2.5 month old very restless in early morning

caedmyn

My 2.5 month old has started crying off and on, thrashing around, and being generally unhappy around 5 or 5:30 every morning.  He'll go back to sleep, but wakes frequently.  Before this he was sleeping til 7/7:30 in the morning.  He's been restless toward morning more often than not for a couple months, grunting and squirming a lot, but not like this.  When I give up on sleeping and take him upstairs, he lays on the floor happily until he gets tired again.  I've tried: putting him in bed with me, putting him in bed with DH, offering to nurse (he won't...not hungry and he doesn't comfort nurse), unswaddling him, rocking him (he sleeps in a Rock n Play), laying him on his stomach in a bassinet, and walking around with him.  Nothing really settles him for very long.  His diaper is only wet.  He's never taken a pacifier so that's not an option.  He does have reflux but it's mild as long as I don't eat things he has problems with.  Any ideas on what I might try to settle him, or what he might be unhappy about?

If he's not hungry, sick, or wet, and he just wants to get up and play, I'd say that you have a morning person on your hands.You might as well just go with it. :)

I had one of those. It lasted until around age 12 and then it was all I could do to push him out of bed.

Does he tend to wet right before or right after? He could just be really sensitive to a wet diaper or to the need to pee. I know a few of mine have definitely gotten restless during sleeping time if their diapers have been the least bit wet. Some of mine haven't cared, but a few really resisted having even a tiny bit of wet, and iirc, there have been a few where I changed a slightly damp diaper, they immediately peed in the fresh one, I changed it again, and they fell right back asleep.

• Like 1