Menu

Need toddler/preschool ideas for special needs school

Ottakee

I have been subbing occ. at a school for severely impaired students. This week I had a full week of filling in for a teacher on medical leave. Next week I will likely be there 4-5 days. Thosight continue for months.

I have 8 students ages 3-5. 6 of the 8 are tube fed but all but one can eat at least some by mouth.

One child is fairly verbal but is autistic as well so we are working on conversational speech. One other says a few words and 2 more say HI and that is all. The other 4 are totally non verbal.

One just started walking independently (think a 12-13 month old skill), 2 walk holding your hand, rest can use special walkers but all 8 have wheelchair strollers. 6 of the 8 can sit up but 2 can not. One of those can not even roll over.

We have skill levels from 3-6 months up to 2-3 years old.

I need ideas of kids websites with learning videos/interactive things as they have a large touch screen (large TV size) we use. Also ideas for activities, crafts, free play, etc.

They are a fun bunch of little ones but I am Trying to remember what I did at those stages...and it has been a lot of years ago.

The ones who can walk holding hands might enjoy some form of ring around the rosies, maybe with a substitute for the falling down bit.

My toddlers often love finger plays like "here is the beehive"--you can Google finger plays and come up with lots. Also games where you hide a small object in one hand and they pick a hand for you to open.

Edited by maize

I'm trying to remember my special needs kid's preschool days. She would compare to your most limited students. Music was always important to her (visually impaired). I would say there are many of her peers who also respond well to music--just pop a CD in. My dd likes jazz, deeper voices (NOT kids singing), things with a strong beat. I remember texture activities--shaving cream on the table, a texture table with sand or uncooked macaroni noodles in it. They were also working on her IEP goals--PTs or OTs should be able to give you ideas on what each child needs. There was a big exercise ball that they would put dd on (on her tummy) and roll her down to her feet to try to get her to bear her weight or roll her forward  to touch the ground with her hands. When she was a little older her K-1 teacher worked on her standing skills with dd holding on to a horizontal broom stick while the teacher held it too. Dd had to stand for a Raffi song or two. There were always plenty of aides--hope you have some help!

Hi, I'm a special educator. I'd create a timetable and block out big chunks of time for self care/food/toilet/dressing etc.

Gross Motor: pushing big balls, hitting hanging mobiles or balls hanging from the ceiling inside socks/stockings , crawling through tunnels, crawling over soft obstacles. 

Fine Motor: fingerpainting (use yoghurt/pudding if neccessary), playdough (use edible dough if necessary), posting items in boxes or bottles, putting  egg shakers in egg cartons, building/knocking over blocks, for higher support needs, try giving them mittens or socks over their hands, and putting velcro on toys, so that 'picking up and moving around' is easier.

Music Time: sing and use keyword sign language. Use toys to act out songs (eg ten in the bed, 3 jellyfish). Use instruments such as shakers and bells.

Interaction Time: Peekaboo using hands, a cloth, a book, a teddy - mix it up. Rolling a ball to and fro (vary 1,2,3 -  go! and ready set go! and so forth - mix it up). Roll a car to and fro. Hide a ball or balloon under the kids shirt, they pull it out, you do it again - lots of fun and laughter and flexible thinking needed.

Matching Time: match real objects to real objects for some kids, match picture to picture for other kids. Important for communication. Say, "put the cup on the cup!" etc etc.

Sensory Time: water play, shaving cream (or whipped cream to avoid chemicals), set toys in jello for the kids to claw out, try tubs with autumn leaves, or a big box full of stuffed toys the kids can lie in. Cover them with soft blankets and pull off. Jump on beanbags together. 

Always think - is the kid doing it, or is it me? Kids are allowed to say no, and allowed to want to continue the activity past when you think it's all done. I went to one centre where "art" was grabbing a kids hand without permission, shoving it in finger paint, shoving it on paper. That isn't art, that's coercion.

Hope that helps!

• Like 4

Thanks for all of the ideas. I hope to use some of them this coming week.

Kids do have speech, OT, PT, music and gym every week along with sensory room 3 times a week. I have 2 delightful assistants that know the kids well and are a huge help.

We have large breaks for toileting and feeding as those take a long time with them.