Menu

Civil Groups: American Girls Heritage? Any experiences?

I'm looking for a group for dd8 to join and we're considering Girl Scouts and the like and someone suggested American Girls Heritage, which has a group in our area.

I'm also looking into Roots & Shoots, 4-H (but I think this will be more of an individual experience instead of group), Girl Scouts, and any other nature/science groups I can find...do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

I don't know anything about American Girls Heritage, but we're active 4-H'ers and our group isn't individual at all, it's a dog club. We've did Girl Scouts for several years and in our opinion the 4-H is infinitely more beneficial--- much more organized, a nicer group of kids and leaders, lots of emphasis on personal responsibility, etc. We really enjoy our 4-H experience.

Good luck in your search!

astrid

I've been disappointed with the new alliances girl scouts is forming this year, so I've checked out American Heritage Girls (slight correction there). I think it all depends on the leadership, frankly, and on your goals. Girl Scouts is not run nearly as well as Boy Scouts, but there are some great groups there, too. (We actually belonged to a girl scout troop made up of homeschooled kids, and had a ball last year. In fact, I stayed friends with her leader and she just had Nature Girl over and took her to an encampment, an all-day skills-based camping experience that NG just loved!)

I would investigate the leadership and thoroughly interview them. Then decide if they are organized, have vision that matches yours, and if your schedule can mesh well with theirs. I like all I've seen of AHG, and I think it's a great program on paper, but I'm sure it varies. It does match what I have in mind for NG as far as goals and methods.

I am a coordinator for American Heritage Girls, and a leader for the Explorer girls. You can visit their website at www.ahgonline.org to find out more information. I would simply try out those groups you have in your area...our group is very focused on service projects and badge work...we meet every other week for a 2 hour period instead of every week for one hour...we seem to get more done.

I actually finished loading a canoe on my truck and have food bought for 20 people for our campout tonight..my girls love the program and it gives them an opportunity to give back to the community in a more organized way and share that with other girls. American Heritage Girls is very much a Christian organization. All leaders must sign a statement of faith, but girls do not. Some girl scout troops put a cap on how many girls can attend that particular troop, but as for our group, our doors are always open, if we get too large, then we try to start branch troops to help with overflow.

Each troop is different but there are a few things that most troops do...we have an annual father/daughter dance, we do campouts quarterly, we stuff Christmas boxes for Christmas Child program, prepare duffle bags for foster children....very much the focus is God, family, country and community.

If you have additional questions, please let me know!

Tara

We do some stuff, but are not a formal part of, a roots and shoots group. Mostly it is service type projects- picking produce at the USDA farm for needy families, cleaning streams, etc. The kids love it- IMO, more meaningful than the typical GS campouts and whatnot. And the group is lovely, too, mostly of the unschooler variety but very open and accepting.

We did 4H for a while, liked it, but didn't love it. Never done GS or American Heritage Girls.

This is the third year my daughter has been in AHG. It is her very favorite thing to do in the whole world. She has made some really good friends and loves every activity and meeting she attends. She told me she never wants to quit and even plans on being a leader eventually. We are in a very well-organized troop, with an emphasis on service.

Like others have said, I would definitely research the group near you and maybe even attend a meeting or two before deciding.

There are some negatives, which I am willing to put up with because my daughter gets so much out of it.

First of all, it is very time consuming. In our troop, and I don't know if this is true for every group, the parents are required to to give a certain amount of time to the group each year. We have to earn points, which are given for different levels of participation. For instance, a squad leader automatically earns the required three points for the year. Babysitting the leaders' younger children on a meeting night earns 1/2 point. Each parent is also required to be a parent helper and bring a snack to a meeting several times a year. In addition to the regularly scheduled meetings, there are also service projects, recreational activities, and camp-outs throughout the year.

Another issue for me has been the very conforming and rigid form of Christianity to which they adhere. Again, it may be different from troop to troop. They are very much focused on rules and order. They usually balance it with much love and grace, but it still grates on me at times. My daughter has not felt overburdened or oppressed by the rigidity, so it may just be my issue. I, personally, frequently feel like a round peg trying to fit into a square hole.

Anyway, that's my take on it. My daughter absolutely loves it and I'm willing to make some concessions in order for her attend.

Kris

The rigidity, I saw what you mean at their website. I have an issue with this statement, "According to Barna Research, if youth do not make a commitment to Christ by age 12, the probability of them finding Him during their life is extremely low."

It makes me wonder if that will be pushed, because I feel that is more of a parental and church responsibility. I'll make sure to check it out thoroughly, thank you for responding!

The rigidity, I saw what you mean at their website. I have an issue with this statement, "According to Barna Research, if youth do not make a commitment to Christ by age 12, the probability of them finding Him during their life is extremely low."

It makes me wonder if that will be pushed, because I feel that is more of a parental and church responsibility. I'll make sure to check it out thoroughly, thank you for responding!

In my experience, my daughter has not been pressured. Much of my discomfort stems from my own experience of church culture and is no doubt biased.

The culture in our AHG troop, and this may vary in different troops, in my opinion, is based on a Baptist church culture. I'm not trying to bash this culture because I know it works for many people who feel right at home in this environment. It's just not for me and makes me uncomfortable.

A person who loves this type of Christian culture would feel right at home at our AHG meetings. But they don't overtly push Baptist theology and there seems to be tolerance of Christians from all different denominations.

The leaders are all very loving and kind, which makes it easy for me to overlook my discomfort at the rigidity I perceive. And my daughter is thriving.

Kris

Our church that sponsors us is an EFCA church....each troop is really a product of its leaders..I wanted a troop where girls could feel comfortable and free to express their faith..we take prayer requests and we pray for them, we end with the doxology...other than that we try our best to encourage the fruits of the spirit through our work and our badges....we don't make a point to say we're working on love/kindness because it's recognized in the Bible as a fruit of the spirit...but because as parents we want our children to embrace them.

We don't do a point system, which means we may be a little bit more relaxed ..but I give God a lot of the responsibility in finding leaders..this year I had 3 moms just come right up to me (new moms) and say "sign me up, I'll be a leader"...I put a lot of my time into it, but it's all worth it and seeing these girls build strong relationships with each other and want to help out in the community so energetically is all worth it. We just finished our canoe badge yesterday and it was an incredible experience for all the girls and the moms really loved it, too! I'd say AHG is more closely related to the boy scouts than the girl scouts in how they organize and do service/badges...hope this helps!

Tara