Menu

I'm not sure if I should scream or cry - venting thread feel free to add your own

cjzimmer1

A little over two weeks ago my washing machine died (on the day my toddler had the stomach flu nonetheless).  We had to wait a week and half for a repair man so while waiting I opened the machine diagnosed the problem, ordered the part and canceled the repair man since the part would get here before he could. 

In the interim. The door to the filing cabinet on my desk broke and the piece is one that is specialty made for those prefab furniture so I can't just buy new pieces.  Okay not the end of the world the desk already is broken in 2 other spots so I guess it's time for a replacement. So I start shopping for a replacement.

Then in the matter of 2 days, the towel rod pulls out of the wall, the wall anchors on the front curtain break (3 year old likes to hang on the curtain so not really surprising, it's just the timing sucks), daughter can't get the vertical blind to open and yanks on it and breaks the cord, a shelf brakes on the bookshelf where all our daily schoolwork is stored.

Piece for washing machine arrives, it was damaged during shipping, I have to send it back.  Have to buy new curtain rods because the old ones are bent.  It's a huge window and needs extra supports, order the extra supports and even though they are the same brand, the ones that come with the rod are a different projection than the ones that you can buy separately.  End up buying a second rod just for the support brackets. But haven't had time to install them yet.

Haven't fixed the patio blinds but I will have to order a new piece of string, take it down and figure out how to restring it.  I've got new parts ordered to fix the bookshelf. 

Moved the towels rod to a new spot but still have to fix the ugly hole in the wall.

Ended up ordering a new washing machine which arrived Saturday.

I thought maybe we were making headway but discovered this morning that there is no heat in the dryer. I will have to go buy another appliance today. And will now have to live with the broken desk because I can't afford to replace it now.

I am so over house repairs, this isn't even funny anymore.

Thanks for letting me whine.

((Hugs)))

Whine away.  It feels like our hobby here is fixing broken things.  Sigh.

Look on your local FB page - you might find the desk and dryer both used for the price of one.  OTOH, hooray for you for the self-diagnosis of the washer.  I think that pretty much rocks.

• Like 1

((Hugs)))

Whine away.  It feels like our hobby here is fixing broken things.  Sigh.

Look on your local FB page - you might find the desk and dryer both used for the price of one.  OTOH, hooray for you for the self-diagnosis of the washer.  I think that pretty much rocks.

The error code and youtube made it easy to figure out the problem.  And it was only a matter of removing 8 screws.  Unfortunately the part was $200 new and was caused by leaking bearings. I wasn't about to tackle replacing the bearings but the other part I found a used part for $50 and figured if it could buy me two months we'd be in a much better place  financially.  When it arrived broken, I threw up my hands and said forget it.  It was costing us $20 a week just to run limited laundry (washing only) at the laundry mat and I wasn't willing to spend another week or two waiting for a new part to arrive. 

I could have bought a used dryer but then I would have had to haul it and install and haul away the old one.  Right now that kinds of feel likes the straw that broke the camel's back.  But the dryer I did buy was $300 less than the matching dryer to my washer so that helped.  I actually thought about buying a dryer last week but was hoping to spread the expense a little bit.  The sales guy is super kind and only charge $15 for delivery, installation and haul away. 

Usually I like DIY projects but the list is just too long right now. Hope you catch a break soon.

• Like 1