Menu

What bloodwork does my husband need?

ktgrok

My husband is overweight, into obese and stressed out, and tired, and has a history of low level depression and anxiety. Fun times. His mood was way better on Effexor, but the sexual side effects drove him crazy. (he wanted to brew tea, and the water would heat up, but never hit that final boil, if you know what a mean. Stamina is one thing, never finishing quite another.)

Anyway, the biggest thing right now is his exhaustion and weight gain. And mood. Okay, all of it. He also sweats more, and just doesn't feel right. 

He has been pre diabetic in the past, and prehypertensive, but the doctor shrugged it off. His TSH was up once, but further bloodwork showed no actual thyroid problem, and since then results were normal. But obviously should be checked again. 

He has finally made an appt for lab work, as he has cut calories, increased exercise some, and still is gaining weight. The ONLY time he's lost weight was on a trip to Vegas for a conference when he wasn't stressed.  He asked me to give him a list of what he should have tested. 

I'm thinking:

Vitamin D

Vitamin B12

A1C

Fasting glucose

Testosterone

TSH

t4/free t4

t3/free t3

Anything else?

Agree with adding the CBC and cortisol saliva test in there if they'll do it, preferably the four stage test where he is gathering his levels over the course of the day.

I think you nailed any others I'd have suggested for him :)

CBC and Comprehensive Metabolic Panel.  The CMP is a pretty regular lab and it tells the doctor about liver and kidney functions as well as a little about diabetes.  Both liver and kidney problems can cause fatigue and anyway it is a test that doctors often order with a physical just because both liver and kidney problems can sneak up without any real symptoms.

CBC and Comprehensive Metabolic Panel.  The CMP is a pretty regular lab and it tells the doctor about liver and kidney functions as well as a little about diabetes.  Both liver and kidney problems can cause fatigue and anyway it is a test that doctors often order with a physical just because both liver and kidney problems can sneak up without any real symptoms.

Yeah, I should have included that, I just know the doctor will run those no matter what. I just don't want him to run ONLY those, you know?