Menu

Congressional Gold Medal Award

I've just been advised about the possibility and opportunity afforded by the Congressional Award. I had never heard of it. It sounds fantastic and a great way to help your teenager make goals and achieve them, motivate them, get them physically more fit, community service-minded, but all with a goal in mind. I love the idea. My question is thus - I am curious does a Congressional Gold Medal award help with college admissions? I understand certain awards/qualifications are undoubtedly seen as a benefit to admissions - like National Merit Scholar/Finalist, AP Scholar w/Distinction/Honor, etc... Does this assist also? Just curious. While yes, we'd be embarking upon this as an opportunity for growth, I would like the fringe benefit of it being a great boon to college admissions/transcript as well since it does tie up so many hours. :)

Any advice?

It sounds really fantastic. And if it's so fantastic, why isn't everybody doing it? 

(thanks nrg for pointing me toward this!)

• Like 2

My older daughter has earned the silver medal and is slowly working on the gold.  She hasn't applied to any selective universities so I don't know if the awards would help or not.  I will say the interviewer for her part-time job was impressed and asked her a lot of questions about the program and her achievements.  My younger daughter hasn't submitted any paperwork for any level yet.  Since it can be inexpensive, I think it's a good way to show that teens are involved in the community as well as learning new skills.

I've just been advised about the possibility and opportunity afforded by the Congressional Award. I had never heard of it. It sounds fantastic and a great way to help your teenager make goals and achieve them, motivate them, get them physically more fit, community service-minded, but all with a goal in mind. I love the idea. My question is thus - I am curious does a Congressional Gold Medal award help with college admissions? I understand certain awards/qualifications are undoubtedly seen as a benefit to admissions - like National Merit Scholar/Finalist, AP Scholar w/Distinction/Honor, etc... Does this assist also? Just curious. While yes, we'd be embarking upon this as an opportunity for growth, I would like the fringe benefit of it being a great boon to college admissions/transcript as well since it does tie up so many hours. :)

Any advice?

It sounds really fantastic. And if it's so fantastic, why isn't everybody doing it? 

(thanks nrg for pointing me toward this!)

I think the answer to the bolded is perhaps at least partially because it is very specific in requirements and is very time consuming -- hundreds of hours. There are so very many options for the high school years  - no one can do it all. 

My daughter is working on the Congressional Award because it mainly just requires documentation of activities she would do anyway. If that weren't the case, she wouldn't do it. I'm not sure any award is worth hundreds of hours doing something you wouldn't do otherwise and don't really enjoy.

I have no idea if it will matter for anything when it comes to college applications. The award process is a good fit for her and has given her the extra incentive to try things she was nervous about trying. It also is a great experience working toward long-term goals over several years. Those incentives and experiences, in and of themselves, are golden. 

• Like 4

Are either of you willing to share what you've selected for your 4 areas of service/growth? I'm still trying to talk my dh into this, so love to know as much as I can. I think the opportunity for growth would be excellent - for us, especially, for a child that really needs the direction and motivation. I think long-term, lofty goals would be great to light a fire... but who knows?!

• Like 1

Are either of you willing to share what you've selected for your 4 areas of service/growth? I'm still trying to talk my dh into this, so love to know as much as I can. I think the opportunity for growth would be excellent - for us, especially, for a child that really needs the direction and motivation. I think long-term, lofty goals would be great to light a fire... but who knows?!

Some possibilities: 

(Click on a link, then click on Activity Ideas in the center of the page. )

Public Service

Personal Development

Physical Fitness

Expedition/Exploration

HTH!

• Like 1

I think the answer to the bolded is perhaps at least partially because it is very specific in requirements and is very time consuming -- hundreds of hours. There are so very many options for the high school years  - no one can do it all. 

Meh.  We don't have 100s of hours to devote to another activity.  My dds already volunteer, and I think their work volunteering is consistent with their interests and can be documented as such without an additional award.  

But then, I always wonder why isn't everybody doing MathCounts?!

• Like 4

My son (10th grade) has been working on the award. I doubt he will get the gold before college app season, but the program overall is a good fit for him. He tends to be out of sync on the four areas, which is perhaps normal (?)

Right now, going from memory, I think he has enough Voluntary Service hours for the Bronze Medal, almost enough Personal Development for the Silver Medal, and is sorely lacking in the Physical Fitness hours. But we were trying to catch PE credit hours, and you can't double dip. He just started Fencing, and now that PE hours are in good shape, the Fencing will be towards the Congressional Award.

He submitted paperwork for the Bronze Certificate last March, and has not worked on an Expedition /Exploration since then. We just moved half way across the world, and need to find new volunteer positions. So maybe now is a good time to do some personal development or an exploration. This is how it has worked for us; an ebb and flow across the four areas as circumstances change.

HTH. I like hearing about what people are doing for the award!

• Like 1

I'm still leaning toward doing it. Just need to get dh on board. I think it will be a great growth opportunity and I can lop much of what we are already doing, combined with what we *should* be doing (more physically active, more volunteer-minded), and have a go at it.

2 questions for those experienced:

1) who do you find to be your mentor (or whatever name they call it) - to notate hours, since it's non-relative?

2) do you think if we start spring freshman year, we can finish and potentially go for congressional gold medal by application season?

love to hear others' options. when i get my mind around this a bit more, i'm happy to share our thoughts.

• Like 1

We are also considering this program.  Our daughter feels that one of her dance instructors would be a great advisor. The girl (woman) is 25 years old and truly an exceptional young role model.  Our issue is time - or lack of time to really get the ball rolling.  Our daughter will be 14 in April so we have plans to discuss the program over the holidays and decide if she can truly commit to it.

• Like 2

My daughter spent some time over the break working on paperwork, records, planning, etc.  As we discussed her upcoming plans, it struck me how the award encourages balance.

Fitness, personal development, volunteering, adventure (exploration/expedition).  

For some the balance may be natural, but I'm not so sure my daughter's high school years would be as balanced without the frequent check-ins. It's a good periodic reality check. 

• Like 3

That's how I feel - direction. Much needed guidance and direction for balance. 

Would still love to hear examples of what others are doing for their 4 areas?

Is this do-able to contemplate completion, beginning in middle of 9th grade year to complete in time for application season?

• Like 1

My dd has begun to narrow her categories but still needs to work out specific goals for each area.

Fitness:  Softball & Agility

Personal Development:  Education (Science Olympiad) & Piano/Violin

Volunteer: Local Hospital & Red Cross

Expedition: Trip to Spain

Is it two goals per category?  She has not officially applied so I don't have the paperwork.  We need to speak to our neighbor to see if she would be her advisor.

That category works differently. It's counted in days, not hours. The planning is described in the write-up, but only the event actually counts. There are three separate one day exploration/expeditions and three involving overnights. One night, two nights, four nights. For both the single days and multiple day ones, at least 6 hours must be spent exploring during the day. Planning doesn't count as one of the days.

To clarify...

It's more than just a trip. The key is that she is doing the bulk of the planning. She just can't tag along on already planned journeys. The rules specifically mention that doesn't count. The goal is for the applicant to choose, plan, arrange, and carry out an exploration or expedition --not to just join a sight-seeing trip or family vacation. That said, it can be part of a family vacation. The applicant just needs to be the one making decisions and doing the arranging. Otherwise, much of the point of doing it is lost.

• Like 1

http://congressionalaward.org/program/program-areas/expeditionexploration/

What Qualifies as an Expedition or Exploration?

Expeditions and Explorations are all about adventure and discovery. Participants should plan, prepare, and be responsible. Pre-planned activities, or “Sign Up and Go†type trips would not qualify as a Congressional Award Expedition/Exploration. School band trips, sport camps, summer camps, jamborees, camporees, conferences, leadership workshops or competitions are examples of these pre-planned type trips.

Past acceptable activities through organizations due to the time commitment, total immersion into a new environment and the level of physical and mental challenge required are listed below. Note – each and every Exploration/Expedition is reviewed for Planning, Immersion and Challenge.  If these are not easily detailed, we recommend trying to find a new activity.  Previously approved Expedition/Explorations through an organization include:

Philmont Scout Ranch, BSA
Outward Bound
People to People Ambassador Trips (International Focus)

Also note that family vacations are fun and relaxing, but there must be a level of challenge and discovery involved with the trip to count as an Expedition or Exploration.

• Like 2

Thank you Woodland. My dd wants to focus her Spain trip on the historic and cultural aspects of the country. She has lightly begun researching museums and is also interested in the montastaries. I had already given her this assignment before knowing about the Congressional award program, our Spain trip is scheduled for October of next year. I would be interested in seeing an example of someone's Expedition plan. Besides the website, are their actual examples of approved plans?

• Like 1

We are an airline family so my dd's first task was to find out what international airline(s) she could fly on which would accept our pass agreements with my husband's airline and get her to Spain. We fly standby so she would need multiple options out of many cities. Not a simple task.

Edited by Jewels
  • Like 1

Oh, good! She'll be challenged! ;)  I thought the trip was already planned and was coming up much sooner. There is still plenty of time for her to make plans and decisions. 

I did find examples of approved plans, but I don't remember where. I can't access them right now, but when I do, I'll let you know. Feel free to remind me in a few days if I've forgotten. 

• Like 1

http://congressionalaward.org/program/program-areas/expeditionexploration/

What Qualifies as an Expedition or Exploration?

Expeditions and Explorations are all about adventure and discovery. Participants should plan, prepare, and be responsible. Pre-planned activities, or “Sign Up and Go†type trips would not qualify as a Congressional Award Expedition/Exploration. School band trips, sport camps, summer camps, jamborees, camporees, conferences, leadership workshops or competitions are examples of these pre-planned type trips.

Past acceptable activities through organizations due to the time commitment, total immersion into a new environment and the level of physical and mental challenge required are listed below. Note – each and every Exploration/Expedition is reviewed for Planning, Immersion and Challenge.  If these are not easily detailed, we recommend trying to find a new activity.  Previously approved Expedition/Explorations through an organization include:

Philmont Scout Ranch, BSA

Outward Bound

People to People Ambassador Trips (International Focus)

Also note that family vacations are fun and relaxing, but there must be a level of challenge and discovery involved with the trip to count as an Expedition or Exploration.

Would you consider a 5-week Rotary International Exchange (immersion with host family) an acceptable Expedition? My daughter recently completed one of these in Japan, and it involved going to high school there for almost the entire time.

• Like 1

Would you consider a 5-week Rotary International Exchange (immersion with host family) an acceptable Expedition? My daughter recently completed one of these in Japan, and it involved going to high school there for almost the entire time.

Possibly. Has she already started the Congressional Award process? If not, unfortunately it won't count. It's my understanding you can't use prior hours, experiences, etc that happened before officially registering and before discussing goals with the advisor and validators.

If she's already working toward an award, I would certainly try submitting it. 

• Like 2

It's my understanding you can have up to two goals per category. You don't need to have two, though.

Clarification and slight correction:

The goals are per level. You can have different goals at each level. 

Voluntary Public Service can have up to four goals per level. 

Fitness and Personal Development can each have up to two goals per level.

Edited by Woodland Mist Academy
  • Like 1

Is this do-able to contemplate completion, beginning in middle of 9th grade year to complete in time for application season?

Yes, if the student is willing to put in the time and effort. There are time-frame specifications for each level after the first two certificates. The hours must be spread over a minimum number of months. The minimum number of months to earn the Gold (from start to finish) is twenty-four. 

So what you're asking is possible. There does, however, need to be the will to find the way.  ;)

• Like 1

Possibly. Has she already started the Congressional Award process? If not, unfortunately it won't count. It's my understanding you can't use prior hours, experiences, etc that happened before officially registering and before discussing goals with the advisor and validators.

If she's already working toward an award, I would certainly try submitting it. 

Yes, she had already started the process prior to the exchange, so I think she should at least try to get it counted. Thanks!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...