Menu

Frostys from Wendys...What have you bribed your children with?

I told my son if he could finish an entire Math-U-See lesson (DVD through test) in less than a half hour, I would buy him and all his siblings Frostys.

I think his pencil was smoking. :D

I'm not above bribery. Too bad it doesn't work on all my children. I have others who would have shrugged and said "nah, not worth it."

Jo

Btw-I don't do this often. We have been in a *no-fun-allowed-get-it-done* period lately, so we needed a little spark.

And this son had already finished his regular assignment this morning. This was total bonus! ;)

Jo

Extra video game time.

I paid my older 2 boys each 50 cents to take a Latin quiz on the weekend.

Oh, and pizza. My ds8 isn't the most aggressive Judoka. One time I told him if he attacked and fought hard during randori (where they practice competing) I would buy him pizza for dinner. It worked so well his Sensei now yells at him "Fight like you're fighting for pizza!!"

Disclaimer: These bribes (I prefer rewards ;)) are used only periodically as incentives for above & beyond work. :D

Edited by JudoMom

Never did it. I took stuff away for poor attitude or effort, but never gave bribes for work that was expected. School is school. It's non-negotiable. It gets done without bribes.

That still goes for homework now that the kids are in ps.

Ria

Never did it. I took stuff away for poor attitude or effort, but never gave bribes for work that was expected. School is school. It's non-negotiable. It gets done without bribes.

That still goes for homework now that the kids are in ps.

Ria

Oh pooey Ria. Don't make me feel bad. I have taken on both roles as parent here and I've decided I'll be bad cop/bad cop all day every day. I needed a perk.:D

I'm still waiting for you to come out and visit so you can hold my hand. ;)

I will very rarely give 10 cents for each correct answer on a test. It only happens once a month at most, but they never know it's coming. It's just a little motivation to know that it *could* happen.

Probably my best known bribe is to play "Deal or No Deal" on Nov 1st. I get their trick or treat candy and they get what is in the "case" on display (a decorated gift bag). It's usually a video game or a new DVD, but last year it was Super Soaker water guns. That was a big hit!

I guess I'm not above using a bribe when it works and it's a win-win for all!

Oh pooey Ria. Don't make me feel bad. I have taken on both roles as parent here and I've decided I'll be bad cop/bad cop all day every day. I needed a perk.:D

I'm still waiting for you to come out and visit so you can hold my hand. ;)

Perks are good, Jo. And it was an extra lesson! You earned your Frosty!

Money works wonders for my kids!! We use this for extra chores above and beyond their usual ones (for which they don't receive any money). But it's amazing how they'll pick up sticks in the yard for $3.00!

For my 6 year old, she LOVES stickers...and she gets a sticker on all of her worksheets. (She has a notebook for the stickers she receives for reading and other things that don't involve worksheets)

Yes, I've bribed my kids. It's pretty rare and saved up for the really hard stuff and usually the younger kids. I haven't done it in a while but my youngest is starting multiplication and so I expect to begin a short period of bribery again. The good thing is that when she's successful all the kids get the treat so she gets a lot of encouragement (and practice help) from her sibs. Moderation in everything is the key and an occasional bribe won't hurt them. :)

Every year DS takes his required annual standardized test (NC requirement) and every year we go out for sushi on the way home. :D And every year he participates in the regional science fair and we go out for Indian food. They actually remember us from year to year!! (And we never go there otherwise, being from three counties away!)

I don't know that those really count as bribes though... more like arrangements. I like being able to remind him that if he does well we'll go out to eat... and if he doesn't... we'll go out to eat. ;)