Menu

Tankless gas hot water tanks.

Scarlett

We looked into tankless when ours died.  I've used them in Egypt and loved them.  We don't have gas, though...so the plumber recommended a hybrid water heater instead.  We've loved it.  It takes the heat from the air (we're in Florida) to heat the water.  My electric bill has gone down a lot since we've installed it.

We love our Rinnai and sized it for our family, I cannot remember off the top of my head but it is one of the bigger and more powerful models because our ground water temp is SO cold (35-40 most of the year). The key is to not hVe the heater be plumbed too far from the sinks or appliances, or if can take awhile to initially kick in and heat up (30-ish seconds). The solution to that isn't a bigger or more powerful heater but more than one installed throughout the house, which we were unable to do in the current setup.

We are saving 40-50% of cost over our old tank and never run out of hot water. Even running a dishwasher, clothes washer, and two showers we have hot water, the flow just decide a bit in the tubs and shower to compensate for the insanely high use, but it doesn't go cold. No issues at all with it running on gas. I recommend them to everyone.

We looked into it when replacing our gas water heater. We didn't get one because the new regulations require that the larger models meet higher efficiency standards and to do that we would need bigger exhaust pipes that the tanked water heater had. The cost of putting in the new exhaust was prohibitive.

This won't be an issue if your water heater is on an accessible, exterior wall. Ours wasn't.

• Like 1

We recently looked it one but were on a tight budget. The increased initial cost would not save us that much on the monthly gas bill. However, the next time we need to replace the water heater we will go with the tankless, but not to "save money". For us, we cannot put a larger traditional water heater i with out substantial renovations Nadine I am tired of running out hot water. Right now, I am sitting on my bed listening to the washing machine run and deciding how long I need to wait until I can go take a shower.

• Like 2

We love our Rinnai and sized it for our family, I cannot remember off the top of my head but it is one of the bigger and more powerful models because our ground water temp is SO cold (35-40 most of the year). The key is to not hVe the heater be plumbed too far from the sinks or appliances, or if can take awhile to initially kick in and heat up (30-ish seconds). The solution to that isn't a bigger or more powerful heater but more than one installed throughout the house, which we were unable to do in the current setup.

We are saving 40-50% of cost over our old tank and never run out of hot water. Even running a dishwasher, clothes washer, and two showers we have hot water, the flow just decide a bit in the tubs and shower to compensate for the insanely high use, but it doesn't go cold. No issues at all with it running on gas. I recommend them to everyone.

That is the brand Lowes has. We can get $850 rebate from our gas company to convert from electric to gas and they only coat a few dollars more than $850. Dh had a plumping supply place and a plumber friend say that one I'd inferior and we need to spend &1700 to get a good one. I don't buy it. I think one or both of those people are talking about the tankless when they first came out.

The one at Lowes is 7.5 gallons of hot water per minute. Do you know what yours is?

Dh says 7.5 gallons would enable 2 showers to run at the same time. For however long.

We have two tankless gas hot water heaters. They only produce hot water on demand. They are super fast for the bathrooms close in plumbing to them. For the kitchen - not so fast. The previous owners of the house installed a small point of use water heater under the kitchen sink. Actually two of them - the first leaked, and then the second had a major leak and they removed it and re-plumed for water from the tankless heater.

Love them. Yes, two people can take showers at the same time. One can be a teen who used to take hour long showers. Sometimes for her I wished we had a regular 40 gallon tank, because I'm sure her showers would have been shorter. Marathon shower taker is now at college. I've wondered how her roommates like that. And I've wondered if the dorm has them much hot water. 

I like the fact we can easily control the temperature setting with a digital controller in our bathroom. We have one set point for summer and a slightly higher set point for winter.  

Family of four, now down to three. Our units are 10 years old, so I'm not sure of size or capacity. We use very little gas in the summer, but I still use hot water for towels/sheets, and two out of three love to take hot showers and baths.

Edited by Bambam
  • Like 1